Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about employees that are stealing materials, cheating on time, or trying to do sidework with your customers.

Do you think it would be right to set up a "Sting" to catch someone that bites the hand that feeds them ?

The thread with the $50 bill hidden, is not the idea here. This applies to service electrician's for the sidework offers from your customers, or construction electricians overbuying wire for their personal use.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Not all side work is, by default, 'biting the hand that feeds them'.

If your employer doesn't perform the side work an employee does, they have nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you believe an employee is turning in more hours or using more materials than the job requires, you should talk to them. They could be slacking or you may be estimating low on time and materials. As far as sidework, you may need to have a written policy on that

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Easiest way to find a bad employee is to set a trap with material...

Don't say a word about side work or anything else... play it cool and keep your mouth shut...

You don't say how the trucks are stocked.. how many or how many employees you are talking about..

You have to treat them all equal until you find the thief...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd go with asking him about it first. Don't directly accuse him, but say you noticed some material missing and see if he knows anything about it. If he is doing it, I doubt he'd come clean right there, but at least you gave him an opportunity.

Then at that point you can set up the wiretaps and/or the sting operation, Serpico. ;)

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I think you just like the idea of another man handling your junk.. :eek::eek::eek::laughing:
Actully seeing I am strongly opposed to stop and frisk and you strongly support it I think it may be you looking for a reach around. :laughing:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
What do you guys think about employees that are stealing materials, cheating on time, or trying to do sidework with your customers.

Do you think it would be right to set up a "Sting" to catch someone that bites the hand that feeds them ?

The thread with the $50 bill hidden, is not the idea here. This applies to service electrician's for the sidework offers from your customers, or construction electricians overbuying wire for their personal use.
Treat people as you wish to be treated.

Talk to people first, set a policy and monitor job costs.

As was pointed out it may be you underestimating time or materials needed ..... or the employee could be a thief. I just would not treat them as one until it is a known fact.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I'd go with asking him about it first. Don't directly accuse him, but say you noticed some material missing and see if he knows anything about it. If he is doing it, I doubt he'd come clean right there, but at least you gave him an opportunity.

Then at that point you can set up the wiretaps and/or the sting operation, Serpico. ;)
Telling someone you suspect of stealing is the fastest way of him hiding his tracks..

Don't you watch any undercover cop shows.. :blink::blink:

·
Registered
12,411 Posts

I say "BAIT" and catch them. Then decide if they are THAT good to give them a second chance, or not.

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
I say "BAIT" and catch them. Then decide if they are THAT good to give them a second chance, or not.
And if he becomes really good at this he becomes the MASTER BAITOR?

I would confront the employee and ask him face to face.

"Hey F*CK WAD are you stealing from me?":no:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts