Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody happen to know what a band heater looks like if it has been affected by wire damage due to contamination of the wires (liquid plastic, or another oil)? I have one that is continuously blowing up and now that I am researching it, it makes sense that the heater would have to heat up first before it blows. Trying to avoid the shotgun method, has anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Does anybody happen to know what a band heater looks like if it has been affected by wire damage due to contamination of the wires (liquid plastic, or another oil)? I have one that is continuously blowing up and now that I am researching it, it makes sense that the heater would have to heat up first before it blows. Trying to avoid the shotgun method, has anybody seen this before?
If it is continually blowing up how are you continuing to use it. Assuming it is a barrel heater make sure there is enough product in the barrel to absorb the heat or install a t-stat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously it's not the same heater over and over. These blow from time to time, I think due to oil from the melted plastic contaminating them, so we always try to keep the area clean. There is a thermocouple in that zone, and it has been ok up until a week ago or so. Now if we replace one, it melts down within 30 minutes. I have checked the current through the heater and everything is normal, it will just suddenly melt from the port where the wires enter the casing. I read that it could be the oil getting on the wires somehow, but I did not see where that could be happening. I was just wondering if anybody knew what it looked like when wire failure was caused by contamination in this application, because according to what I have been reading, it's fairly common. Just not very common to attach a picture, I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the operators, the machine is producing at the same rate as it always has, so I assume there is no difference in the flow of material through the barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts