Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do very many of you guys use em? Always use a sawzall and if im doing a lot of strut or larger pipe I bring my 14" cut off saw. Just curious what the advantage of the band saw is?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I always have my m12 bandsaw on the lift with me, If I'm doing larger pipe I'll bring the M18 up too.

Before getting the M12 my M18 Hacksaw was up there with me.

Bandsaws are much more versatile than cutoff saws.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
My bandsaw doesnt seem to cut strut straight. Normally use a full size sawzall, 5" angle grinder and 16" chopsaw.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
My bandsaw doesnt seem to cut strut straight. Normally use a full size sawzall, 5" angle grinder and 16" chopsaw.
I also use a hacksaw alot. Did this saddle and concentric bend in in the basket tray and normal tray then got pulled off the floor because the ceiling guys were whining about getting their stuff in, I was making good headway and teaching an enthusiastic kid so pretty pissed off about that

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unfortunately, my answer is no but not by my choice. I used to use one at a company I worked for before.

I can't convince my supervisor to get one. He is old school. He won't even get a mini drill for driving screws in. He is old school. He would spend all day driving screws in my hand.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Do you find yourself using a sawzall or band saw for frequently?
I hate sawzalls, too much vibration.

Also, for some reason Im very uncoordinated and always get my thumb smashed.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
We keep a bandsaw on every jobsite and a portaband on every truck. Not to mention that sawzall blades aren't what they used to be.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
19,760 Posts
I like all of those tools but unless I am doing lots of production work, I reach for my hacksaw first.
I can rip through most strut and small conduit or any size EMT faster than getting the portaband out of the truck.
I don't think I even owned a portaband until recently.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts