Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out if dedicated office loads need to be added to the calculations for a Bank or office.

I know i am supposed to use the larger of 1 va/ sq ft V/S receptacle load at 180va per yoke per 220.14.K with the lighting load at 3.5 va / sq ft.

what i am questioning if there are dedicated circuits listed and the listed circuits including the dedicated were smaller than the 1 va/ sq ft.
I thought dedicated was added to the 1 va / sq. (similar to residential for the 2 small appliance and laundry circuit).

This was on a masters test and After many hours of searching I am not sure if i did it correctly.
example a 10000 sf office: 2ea dedicated copy machines 15 amp, 30 gp receptacles.
I used the 10000va +3600 for my load as 1va per sq ft is larger than the 30 gp @180 + dedicated 3600.

this has been bugging me as I thought it was correct but I have to take the test again (different one), I passed the code knowledge but failed the calculations and the other parts were not that hard but this was the first question and the next 3 or 4 built on this one.

Should I have left the dedicated off as it was smaller? there was an answer that if i left them out i think would have also matched.

I may be getting two focused and not seeing the big picture but i think all my film is getting over exposed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also thought i put some tags in the question but see them above the reply box:
calculations, dedicated circuits, nec 2017, receptacles
do I just paste these into the question?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am trying to find out if dedicated office loads need to be added to the calculations for a Bank or office.

I know i am supposed to use the larger of 1 va/ sq ft V/S receptacle load at 180va per yoke per 220.14.K with the lighting load at 3.5 va / sq ft.

what i am questioning if there are dedicated circuits listed and the listed circuits including the dedicated were smaller than the 1 va/ sq ft.
I thought dedicated was added to the 1 va / sq. (similar to residential for the 2 small appliance and laundry circuit).

This was on a masters test and After many hours of searching I am not sure if i did it correctly.
example a 10000 sf office: 2ea dedicated copy machines 15 amp, 30 gp receptacles.
I used the 10000va +3600 for my load as 1va per sq ft is larger than the 30 gp @180 + dedicated 3600.

this has been bugging me as I thought it was correct but I have to take the test again (different one), I passed the code knowledge but failed the calculations and the other parts were not that hard but this was the first question and the next 3 or 4 built on this one.

Should I have left the dedicated off as it was smaller? there was an answer that if i left them out i think would have also matched.

I may be getting two focused and not seeing the big picture but i think all my film is getting over exposed.

You take your square footage multiplied by the VA found in 220 tables. That only gives a load for basic lights, including outlets in a house. after finding the total va you need to add everything else up individually, equipment and outlets which will up your calculation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please read the question

You take your square footage multiplied by the VA found in 220 tables. That only gives a load for basic lights, including outlets in a house. after finding the total va you need to add everything else up individually, equipment and outlets which will up your calculation
Sorry but that is wrong 220.16.k states to use the larger of 1 va per square foot or 220.14.I .. the va per square has always been higher than the receptacle count x 180 plus the dedicated receptacles.

My question is if i add the dedicated receptacles into the calculation. I believe that is correct as it is the same as the 3 required circuits for a residence the laundry and 2 small appliance circuits are added when doing load calculations.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Sparky50...

Here in California a special set of EXTRA design laws apply to banks.

The NEC is thrown out in terms of load calculations.

I'd be surprised if the same was not true in Oregon.

Your numbers as computed by the NEC will turn out to be WAY low.

1) Extra perimeter lighting is mandatory... and it's intense.

2) Extra internal illumination is mandatory... like a show room floor.

Indeed, you'll find that everyone from diamond merchants to auto dealerships have special exemptions passed by your state legislature that supercede the NEC.

They paid for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. But I have all the state modifications to the code copied into my code book if anything It would be lower but "led lighting with a monitoring panel" was not included that is The only modification for banks and office buildings identified in Oregon's 918-305 Table 1 E (or Oregon's modifications to the code) I started in CA in the 70's so I do know about all the changes they have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.