Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,178 Posts
Reactions: BBQ

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
The new halogen replacements are 4X more expensive and don't last nearly as long in my experience. I plan on stocking up on 60 watt "bulbs".

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The stupidest law ever.

So far the ban is targeting 100, 75, 60 and 40 watt general use A16 bulbs. 100 and 75 are already banned and the 60s /40s are soon to follow. Homedepot and other big box stores are selling them faster then Edison with 16 bulbs for 5 or 6 bucks. Im seeing people by something like 12 cases of them, with the shelves being restocked in no time.

The high wattage bulbs are not in the foreseeable future being banned as are the 40 watt appliance bulbs but you never know.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
3 way mogal based bulbs went out 20 years ago.
I have a lot hidden in my garage just waiting for the value to go up.

HD still sells them:thumbup:
IMO, the current leds and fluorescents make a home look like office lighting
Leds are getting better but CFLs suck:censored: And the mercury will one day come back to haunt us, remember my words:no:

The new halogen replacements are 4X more expensive and don't last nearly as long in my experience. I plan on stocking up on 60 watt "bulbs".

Theve gotten better but they don't work well when run horizontally. Filament seems to sag and touch the walls of the capsule.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do they make a CFL for cold temperature starting...or will you be forced to LED for outside lights?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Do they make a CFL for cold temperature starting...or will you be forced to LED for outside lights?
They make an outdoor version, but even the manufacturer admits they don't run well below zero. Most outdoor versions eventually warm up fine after time but a good number wont start when its to cold.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
meadow said:
Leds are getting better but CFLs suck:censored: And the mercury will one day come back to haunt us, remember my words:no: Theve gotten better but they don't work well when run horizontally. Filament seems to sag and touch the walls of the capsule.
There is far more mercury in the millions of honeywell round thermostats and silent switches than in all of the CFLs out there. This doesn't count the mercury in the bottom of rivers and lakes everywhere the woolen mills have operated. In NH you are advised not to eat any fish over 20" in length that you catch due to mercury content.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
There is far more mercury in the millions of honeywell round thermostats and silent switches than in all of the CFLs out there. This doesn't count the mercury in the bottom of rivers and lakes everywhere the woolen mills have operated. In NH you are advised not to eat any fish over 20" in length that you catch due to mercury content.
A thumbs worth compared to the ball point pen in the CFL. But still, most round thermostats don't get thrown in the garbage. They don't over heat and break when they reach end of life nor can they easily be brocken.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,320 Posts
I've been buying the halogen bulbs that look like incandescents (72w = 100w, etc) for where I wont use CFLs, and I've had good experiences with them. They are more expensive.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Get real, where do you suppose home owners and even professionals are taking all these old mercury filled thermostats when they get replaced with new programmable models?

Garbage can.
You have a good point. I sometimes wonder how much of an environmental impact LED lamps have from their manufacturing process compared to CFL lamps and incandescents. Mercury is not the only concern.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts