Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've opened my company several months ago, all of a sudden starting last week I've received a half a dozen of emails from Bark.com Canada.
Brief example of one of the emails: "Jasmine from Surrey is looking for an electrician to install two lights. Please contact her directly for free"

I've done a bit of a research about this company and apparently they make money by giving leads to electrical (and many other) businesses.
Anyone had any experience with Bark.com? If yes, then was it worth using them?

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,159 Posts
Any contact like that is probably not worth the powder to blow it up.
During the last century in Phoenix I joined two such services, and quickly removed my company from consideration. They were a bit different but essentially the same idea. Forwarding people to me for a fee. Usually had plans that were available to bid, at their plan room.

A friend ran one of the services and he called me one day for a sit down. The owner wanted 10% kicked back to him. Because " everyone knows how much profit there is in construction"
There were several other trades in the room at the time. I pushed by chair back and walked of the room. Not sure if the guy was from somewhere this tactic was a common occurrence. I decided that if he was willing to do that in a pubic meeting getting paid down the road was going to be a problem. I did like those problems.

Everyone could use a bit more business and or leads.
If you have the time, try and find more information on the company and some of the contractors that do business with them. You have a >10% chance that they will actually be helpful to you.

Have you heard the new ANGIE commercials.
"When you book and pay with Angie, you’re covered by our Happiness Guarantee. We’ll cover your projects up to full purchase price, plus limited damage protection ."
Trying to drill down and get more information always comes back to "start a new project"
I am to independant to allow control to go another company, person or group.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
631 Posts
Have you heard the new ANGIE commercials.
"When you book and pay with Angie, you’re covered by our Happiness Guarantee. We’ll cover your projects up to full purchase price, plus limited damage protection ."
Trying to drill down and get more information always comes back to "start a new project"
I am to independant to allow control to go another company, person or group.
"Angie" is obviously rich and trying to get richer. The more she promises her customers the more I dont trust her to help me. I would not be surprised if her gaurantee actually comes out of your pocket and its somewhere in the middle and in fine print of your contract with her

I have always made my jobs right, no matter what it costs me. Then that reputation belongs to me, not angie.

I sincerely believe those companies are screwing the contractors for the most part, and they never get screwed or even come up short

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm a belligerent old cuss, I wouldn't take those leads, even if they paid to go look at them. In many years of business, never spent money on a references, ad's or even a web page. I only deal with personal references. I expect my reputation and skill set to win customers and then keep them. It's much less trouble keeping the ones you have than trying to find new ones. Paying for them? That thought never crossed my mind.

Everyone has friends and business associates, if you take good care of the ones you have in your immediate circle, your circle can grow exponentially.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, guys for replies.
All those emails i've received from that Bark didn't feel right to me and you just kinda reinforced my opinion.
The latest email did not make much sense to me:

Dave is looking for Electricians
In Port Coquitlam, BC, V3B
What kind of work do you need doing?
Power lines
What type of property is this for?
House
When do you want the work done?
As soon as possible
How likely are you to make a hiring decision?
I'm ready to hire now
Additional details:
A garbage truck drove by my house and ripped mine and my next door neighbour’s hydro wires off of our houses. No power! Need repairs ASAP
I mean... c'mon - if some garbage truck hits overhead line, don't you think a homeowner should get ahold of that company to deal with a damage???
But instead, according to bark.com, Dave has contacted them and now is sitting and waiting for some electrician to respond (wtf???)
Definetely, a scammy service.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,770 Posts
Thank you, guys for replies.
All those emails i've received from that Bark didn't feel right to me and you just kinda reinforced my opinion.
The latest email did not make much sense to me:

Dave is looking for Electricians
In Port Coquitlam, BC, V3B
What kind of work do you need doing?
Power lines
What type of property is this for?
House
When do you want the work done?
As soon as possible
How likely are you to make a hiring decision?
I'm ready to hire now
Additional details:
A garbage truck drove by my house and ripped mine and my next door neighbour’s hydro wires off of our houses. No power! Need repairs ASAP
I mean... c'mon - if some garbage truck hits overhead line, don't you think a homeowner should get ahold of that company to deal with a damage???
But instead, according to bark.com, Dave has contacted them and now is sitting and waiting for some electrician to respond (wtf???)
Definetely, a scammy service.
To me and you, yeah it reeks of scam. But a generation or two back, well maybe not. How many people do you know who refuse to answer a phone call but will respond instantly to a text message? Dave may have had his Hydro yanked off the house but can’t/won’t/hasn’t the social skills to call an electrician personally. He fills in some fields on a site and waits for you to email him back, all while sitting in the dark.
We had a salesman who wouldn’t make in person cold calls to contractors. Selling R-Mix means lots of driving and seeing dirt work and shaking hands. His method was to try and find their website :rolleyes: and email them pricing, or maybe contact them on Facebook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts