Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help trying to figure out if I will need a service upgrade based on a couple things...
- addition of a Barn (probably 50A)
- removing a sub-panel (50A) and adding it to the main panel

For starters the existing main panel is 100A. So if for example both the 50 amp circuits were pulling all of their amps and the main panel needed all 100 amps of its loads then a new main panel would require a 200 amp capacity? I am just not sure if thats the way you figure out loads when adding auxillary circuits. Doesnt seem right unless the main panel was oversized and had 50 amps to give the existing sub panel (which is rated at 50A).

Would be alot easier to just run a meter to the new barn for a separate service but the barn sits 300' from the house and the overhead service would just get in the way of moving tractors around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that i think about it, sounds like i just asked a dumb question because the auxiliary circuits only need 50 amps each and the existing only needed 100 amp panel. So without adding anything new a 200 amp panel would definitely cover everything. Hopefully the owner would just agree to a panel change and a service upgrade.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
mtc701 said:
Now that i think about it, sounds like i just asked a dumb question because the auxiliary circuits only need 50 amps each and the existing only needed 100 amp panel. So without adding anything new a 200 amp panel would definitely cover everything. Hopefully the owner would just agree to a panel change and a service upgrade.
You should still do a load calc. If nothing else, for the practice.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Why does the owner even need to know, and agree with a 200-amp upgrade? The told you the scope of work. Bid the right money for what you need to do. Get a signature. Get to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.