Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a condo building. I had some other jouneyman rough in the bath GFI, switch, and vanity light on one 20 amp circuit for the bathroom . On the finish I come to find out that they loaded the switch and vanity light off the GFI. I told them you don't do that, that's stupid. He said that it's code to if you run a 20 amp circuit just for the bathroom and you use it for lights also that you have to GFI everything. I told him that's bull chit, am I right?
Also, I don't want to go back and change them all, is there anything wrong with leaving the vanity light on the load side of the GFI?

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
NEC does not care one way or the other and if you are under the NEC you are free to do it either way.

On the other hand here in MA we have an amnedment that prohibits putting all the lighting for an an area on one GFCI. They do not want a GFCI trip to leave an area in the dark.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
You are allowed, by the NEC, to put all the electrical in ONE bathroom on the ONE 20a bath circuit, but that bath circuit cannot supply another bath if you do. The NEC does not say all the other stuff must be GFCI-protected, though. 210.11(C)(3) Exception.

Local codes, however, may say otherwise.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
You are allowed, by the NEC, to put all the electrical in ONE bathroom on the ONE 20a bath circuit, but that bath circuit cannot supply another bath if you do. The NEC does not say all the other stuff must be GFCI-protected, though. 210.11(C)(3) Exception.

Local codes, however, may say otherwise.
What he said and Minnesota has no amendments addressing it.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I'm doing a condo building. I had some other jouneyman rough in the bath GFI, switch, and vanity light on one 20 amp circuit for the bathroom . On the finish I come to find out that they loaded the switch and vanity light off the GFI. I told them you don't do that, that's stupid. He said that it's code to if you run a 20 amp circuit just for the bathroom and you use it for lights also that you have to GFI everything. I told him that's bull chit, am I right?
Also, I don't want to go back and change them all, is there anything wrong with leaving the vanity light on the load side of the GFI?
Not a problem. More of a nuisance IMO.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
210.70(d)

MA. Amendment. Violation.

210.70(D) GFCI protection of lighting outlets in all occupancies.

"The operation of a single GFCI device shall not de-energize all lighting outlets in a given area"

Looks like you're OK. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
if there isn't another gfci protected receptacle in the bathroom, why not just pigtail the wires or install both under the line screws?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
if there isn't another gfci protected receptacle in the bathroom, why not just pigtail the wires or install both under the line screws?
I agree that would be the best option, but if its code compliant..he did not want to have to go back. Although he might anyway if it ever trips and they call him. Then can swap it around. Decisions decisions..

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
The tub & shower zone , described in 410.10D is often addressed via 110.3B with manufacturers requiring gfci protection. We usually see this with bath fans.

210.11C3 EX, (as posted) mentions 'other equipment' on a bath home run , which is usually taken to mean accommodating bath fans (among other bath items)

So it's good practice & saves a possible blank face gcfi

That said, if the vanity is out of the zone, we'll leave it on the general lighting circuit , for practical reasons Ma has amended

Btw, 680.43 addresses lighting/gfci concerns above motorized tubs , further involving the issue

~CS~

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
4SQUARE said:
I agree that would be the best option, but if its code compliant..he did not want to have to go back. Although he might anyway if it ever trips and they call him. Then can swap it around. Decisions decisions..
Right, would rather not spend the time redoing 30 units.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Chris1971 said:
At this point I wouldn't. It's not the greatest set up but it is compliant in Minnesota. Maybe ask the boss and see what he thinks?
Hey, how much snow did you guys get? I figure we are around two feet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts