Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question about wiring a bathroom fan. Inside the fan there are two sets of wires:

Set one:

Black wire (labelled "light")
White wire (unlabeled)

Second set:

Black wire (unlabeled)
Red wire (labeled "Sensor")
2nd Red wire (labeled "Sensor" also)

Im guessing I run a 14/3 and a 14/2 to the light/fan combo. Black from 14/2 goes to the black labeled "Light" - White from 14/2 is the return.

Black 14/3 goes to the unlabeled black. Red from 14/3 goes to first red sensor. White from 14/3 goes to other red sensor.

Is this correct?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Idk, I thought this was a board filled with professional electricians and not the DIY home owners board at SEARS.com.
This is a pro forum that gives DIY'ers the door, and any suspected hack a hard time

In fact, i've posted work i thought pristine, only to have this crew pick it apart

Love it, or leave it

But don't whine about it

~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
Idk, I thought this was a board filled with professional electricians and not the DIY home owners board at SEARS.com.
for the most part, that is correct. Do you think that professional electricians ask others how to wire something when they haven''t even bothered to attempt to ascertain the correct wiring first ? Do you think that professional electricians ask others how to wire something without even offering a model number or manufacturer name ? If you are an apprentice as your profile states, man up and do your homework first or at least provide enough information so that others can answer your questions ( that appear, I might add, to be generated by your own laziness and not by your lack of technical knowledge).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for the most part, that is correct. Do you think that professional electricians ask others how to wire something when they haven''t even bothered to attempt to ascertain the correct wiring first ? Do you think that professional electricians ask others how to wire something without even offering a model number or manufacturer name ? If you are an apprentice as your profile states, man up and do your homework first or at least provide enough information so that others can answer your questions ( that appear, I might add, to be generated by your own laziness and not by your lack of technical knowledge).
Fair enough. It is a Panasonic Whisper Green FV-08VKSL4.

I'm lost as to how it even works or why two lines have to be brought into the fan.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
This fan is designed to run continuously ensuring a healthy climate at low CFM levels 24 hours a day. NOTE: This NEW model can also be configured for spot (non-continuous) ventilation!!This fan is also built to take care of the homeowners spot ventilation needs when the room is occupied. This fan kicks-up to a maximum level of 80 CFM when activated by standard switch. A High/Low Delay Timer, located inside the fan unit, is utilized to return the fan back to the pre-set continuous ventilation mode OR shut off completely

A NOTE ON SWITCHING THIS FAN:
There are a variety of ways that this fan can be switched. When contact with the high speed (red) wire is opened - the countdown begins to turn the fan down to the continuous operation (low) speed. As the wiring diagram indicates - it is also possible to introduce an additional switch to override the fan and turn it off altogether. We have made a special "momentary contact" switch available to make the transition from low to high speed easy.

Is this the fan?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
To be honest, it looks a little confusing.

I take that you wire the two reds to your switch.

You just wire the blacks as hot all the time?
It is , because it 'runs all the time'

which means it wants to be fed ahead of the switching

which is asking for a motor w/o a disco within sight

I've rewired a few similar bath fans so this is not so, put it on a spring wound timer...as the manufact instructions posted allow

But that's me....

~CS~

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.