Electrician Talk banner

Bathroom Receptacles

CEC 
3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  d2043 
#1 ·
My cousin has asked me to change some receptacles and switches while I'm at her place. Her main complaint is the bathroom receptacle...

I've never seen one like this in person. It's mounted In a 4x4 deep box. The box is within 5' of the tub.

What would you do in this instance? Part of me say not to touch it, but the other half of me wants to change it because it doesn't matter how far it is from the tub when someone uses an extension cord...

Thoughts?
Fixture Rectangle Wood Gas Electronic device

Wood Gas Audio equipment Bumper Automotive exterior

See less See more
#7 ·
Is it possible they limited the power consumption because there are many loads on the circuit? Here is what Dennis would do..lol
Check what else is on the circuit by turning off the breaker.. Then remove that crap and install a flat 2 gang adapter ring , install a gfci with a decora receptacle next to it and then use a 2 gang decora plate.

Rectangle Auto part Bicycle part Metal Fashion accessory

#11 ·
I remember buying a conversion kit at Home Depot, I think, that came with the GFI, oversized plate, and everything needed. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here are the plates. Just need the GF receptacle.

#24 ·
The plate is the same size as the Razor receptacle. The razor receptacle was moved over more than I could with the device screws...

Doesn't matter, my cousin is a painter, AND there's a hand towel that hangs down over it.

#29 ·
There must be some sort of bonding here, because I get a good voltage reading from hot to the box... Now how good that bond is, I don't know... I should have tested it with an incandescent light bulb.

It was good enough for me to fix the 3 way switches that were screwed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.