Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commercial office, 20+ people sharing 2 single person bathrooms. Bathrooms around corner from open office cubes. Want to add 2 (recessed can?) tied in with each bathroom light so open office can see. Kinda like an airplane signal for bathroom occupancy, without the BING? 60x20 open office furniture, Don't need to get crazy. Originally thought of 2 6" cans with the recessed shower trims that are like a hockey puck ( hang down 1"). Maybe somehow color one of the glass pieces red for women's. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Commercial office, 20+ people sharing 2 single person bathrooms. Bathrooms around corner from open office cubes. Want to add 2 (recessed can?) tied in with each bathroom light so open office can see. Kinda like an airplane signal for bathroom occupancy, without the BING? 60x20 open office furniture, Don't need to get crazy. Originally thought of 2 6" cans with the recessed shower trims that are like a hockey puck ( hang down 1"). Maybe somehow color one of the glass pieces red for women's. Any thoughts?
I would tend to think an occ. sensor would work better. If the last person in the restroom didn't turn the light off everyone would think it was still "occupied".

Better idea.....have the person in the restroom lock the door
have the person wanting in to knock!:thumbup:

Also I wouldn't want everyone in the office to know every time I went to the restroom!:mad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the same as you...omg I'm going to turn the light on... Again.! Original scope IS to install a OC for the one 2x2 in each bathroom, forgot to mention that. Obviously they are trying to "fix" the lack of shi$$ers, and man hours lost due to failed bathroom runs. I have had to pull over and drop one in a 5 gallon bucket on the side of the road...IN my van. What do the office slugs do? Hide behind the fake tree in the corner? Trying to present a unique "fix",
great customer...

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,643 Posts
IMO easiest would be basic fixtures like this:

With a red/pink party bulb in the women's, blue for men's. Occupancy sensor in each bathroom with the 1 minute timeout. Mount it on the ceiling so it covers the stalls as well.

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Except the doors will probably also be closed when they are vacant.
Then you will have to integrate the deadbolt strike instead.

It's about the same complexity, but you have to do more carpentry.

Otherwise order the parts instead of getting it all off the shelf, or go to a security wholesaler like ADI.

·
Swimmer
693 Posts
I would tend to think an occ. sensor would work better. If the last person in the restroom didn't turn the light off everyone would think it was still "occupied".

Better idea.....have the person in the restroom lock the door
have the person wanting in to knock!:thumbup:

Also I wouldn't want everyone in the office to know every time I went to the restroom!:mad:
Should work if the person using the facility is within view of the occupancy sensor. If the person is in a stall then the sensor may turn off lights and signal vacancy while someone is having serious quality time in the stall.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.