Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into it with a carpenter today cause of my receptacle placement. It's detailed for a three basin counter top about 8' long. Above the counter top is going to be a one piece mirror about 7' long. I placed one receptacle on each side of the mirror thinking it would eliminate having to cut the mirror.

Guy said his soap dispensers are detailed for where my receptacles are. Which is true but the plans didn't show receptacles. Long story short I told the guy there had to be a receptacle 3' from each basin. Which required me to put them on each side of the countertop. I also told him appliance cords weren't very long and someone on one side wouldn't be able to plug in across the entire setup.

He ended up agreeing with me but when I went back and looked it up I could only find the requirement to be for dwelling units. This is a warehouse.

210.52 (D)

I guess there isn't any requirement for a commercial restroom. Anyone have a different code reference that would apply?

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
What kind of "appliances" will people plug in at the warehouse restroom? At least nobody has to worry about washing hands, since there'll be no soap.
:laughing: did you talk to the carpenter already??

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Since they're optional, is a 20a dedicated circuit still required?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Got into it with a carpenter today cause of my receptacle placement. It's detailed for a three basin counter top about 8' long. Above the counter top is going to be a one piece mirror about 7' long. I placed one receptacle on each side of the mirror thinking it would eliminate having to cut the mirror.

Guy said his soap dispensers are detailed for where my receptacles are. Which is true but the plans didn't show receptacles. Long story short I told the guy there had to be a receptacle 3' from each basin. Which required me to put them on each side of the countertop. I also told him appliance cords weren't very long and someone on one side wouldn't be able to plug in across the entire setup.

He ended up agreeing with me but when I went back and looked it up I could only find the requirement to be for dwelling units. This is a warehouse.

210.52 (D)

I guess there isn't any requirement for a commercial restroom. Anyone have a different code reference that would apply?

210.8 (B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(B)(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
(1) 
Bathrooms
(2) 
Kitchens
(3) 
Rooftops
(4) 
Outdoors
Exception No. 1 to (3): Receptacles on rooftops shall not be required to be readily accessible other than from the rooftop.
Exception No. 2 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by a branch circuit dedicated to electric snow-melting, deicing, or pipeline and vessel heating equipment shall be permitted to be installed in accordance with 426.28 or 427.22, as applicable.
Exception No. 3 to (4): In industrial establishments only, where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified personnel are involved, an assured equipment grounding conductor program as specified in 590.6(B)(2) shall be permitted for only those receptacle outlets used to supply equipment that would create a greater hazard if power is interrupted or having a design that is not compatible with GFCI protection.
(5) 
Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink
Exception No. 1 to (5): In industrial laboratories, receptacles used to supply equipment where removal of power would introduce a greater hazard shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.
Exception No. 2 to (5): For receptacles located in patient bed locations of general care or critical care areas of health care facilities other than those covered under 210.8(B)(1), GFCI protection shall not be required.
(6) 
Indoor wet locations
(7) 
Locker rooms with associated showering facilities
(8) 
Garages, service bays, and similar areas other than vehicle exhibition halls and showrooms
(C) Boat Hoists. GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets not exceeding 240 volts that supply boat hoists installed in dwelling unit locations.
(D) Kitchen Dishwasher Branch Circuit. GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers installed in dwelling unit locations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.