Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am currently in construction of my home and I am in Canada. I have a four gang with four switches that is 2 feet from my shower. The shower has a glass door and also has a light that is rated for the shower and controlled by one of the switches. The walls in the house are now all drywalled and painted. It seems that the switches need to be more like 3 feet away even though because of the glass door there is no way you could reach the switches from inside the shower. I cant turn the 4 gang around and put the switches on the backside of the wall because that is in the walk in closet. It would be a big job too move the switches to another wall. Does anyone have any ideas of what i could do, or maybe have a different interpretation of the code that would allow me to leave it where it is? any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
I would not worry about it. In the US we have switches that can be within inches of the shower

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
You can have the switches within 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001" of the shower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In canada the rule says that the switch cant be within reach when you are in the shower, then it goes on to say that "within reach" is within 1meter

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Hi all, I am currently in construction of my home and I am in Canada. I have a four gang with four switches that is 2 feet from my shower. The shower has a glass door and also has a light that is rated for the shower and controlled by one of the switches. The walls in the house are now all drywalled and painted.
What's happening here? Looks like construction is finished (painted walls). Talk to the electrician that wired it. Perhaps the switch bank is fed by a GFCI of sorts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The switches are in the master bath and are on the same cct as the master bedroom so they are already protected by an afci breaker, even if they were under a gfci breaker would that be enough to satify code. The shower size was made larger after the electrician was done that is why it is now 2 feet away from switches.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
The switches are in the master bath and are on the same cct as the master bedroom so they are already protected by an afci breaker, even if they were under a gfci breaker would that be enough to satify code. The shower size was made larger after the electrician was done that is why it is now 2 feet away from switches.
If CEC does not have an exception for gfci then it may not be compliant. Personally I would not lose sleep over it.

·
3,670 Posts
even if they were under a gfci breaker would that be enough to satify code. The shower size was made larger after the electrician was done that is why it is now 2 feet away from switches.
Yes.

Do you have a code book?
30-320 (3) (b)

·
3,670 Posts
I would re-feed the switch bank from a GFI (bath plug?) (I see it's off the ARC Fault breaker).

Sometimes electricians don't put lighting on ARC Fault breakers. Canadian code just requires the receptacles. You sure it's on the ARC Fault?

·
Registered
218 Posts
My usual resolve in this situation is put a deadfront/faceless GFCI in the 4g box. Have the 14/2 bring power in on the line, and then load out to the multiple switches. To make space for the GFCI, combine 2 of the switches into a 2 in 1 switch.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Hi all, I am currently in construction of my home and I am in Canada. I have a four gang with four switches that is 2 feet from my shower. The shower has a glass door and also has a light that is rated for the shower and controlled by one of the switches. The walls in the house are now all drywalled and painted. It seems that the switches need to be more like 3 feet away even though because of the glass door there is no way you could reach the switches from inside the shower. I cant turn the 4 gang around and put the switches on the backside of the wall because that is in the walk in closet. It would be a big job too move the switches to another wall. Does anyone have any ideas of what i could do, or maybe have a different interpretation of the code that would allow me to leave it where it is? any help would be much appreciated!!!!!
Again, I say that the reason that plumbers get paid more is because electricians, even if they don't like a situation they look for shortcuts to allow them to to do the shortcut anyway. It is your home. Do you want us to tell you to keep the shower door closed? If I say it's okay will you place a sign in there telling your children to keep the door closed and not use the switches?

·
507 Posts
RIVETER said:
Again, I say that the reason that plumbers get paid more is because electricians, even if they don't like a situation they look for shortcuts to allow them to to do the shortcut anyway. It is your home. Do you want us to tell you to keep the shower door closed? If I say it's okay will you place a sign in there telling your children to keep the door closed and not use the switches?
No shortcut was taken during the rough-in. OP said shower sizzle was changed after electrician had done the wiring. Wasn't notified of the change most likely so I would charge for the change order to move it or GFI if the HO does t want to go that route.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
why?

are there pertinent stats portraying Canadians as more apt towards doing electrical work while showering Frunk....?? :whistling2::thumbup::no::rolleyes::jester:~CS~

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
It violates Canadian Electrical Code.

GFCI protection would satisfy Canadian Electrical Code.
So, it's still not going to kill you. Unless like CS said, you're working on them while showering. Oh, wait this is in Canada!

Besides, it's more like a guideline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to those tried to help! Its not gonna be a problem to gfi protect the switches which should make everything fine for inspection as the switches are outisde the 500mm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts