Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you GFCI protect them since they are a fixed unit?

I can run a 20 amp ckt instead of a 15 for the air pump tub and cover the Warmer off the same deadfront if they need to be.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ive always put mine on a GFI. Not sure if it was code though. I think i also would run its own 20amp circuit also

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a master bathroom with all the toys, toilet seat warmer, towel warmer, steam unit, 8.6 amp air pump for tub. I'm trying to limit and combine circuits since they are opposite distance from panel , the other alternative is hit multiple 3 wire feeds to kitchen below and 2 wire up to bathroom if I dedicate them. I already have a total of 5 bathrooms just for 2 floors using three 20 ckts for the outlets having 1 up and 1 down share the same ckt.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be nice if I could land a 125 amp GFCI protected sub and cover everything including the Hot Tub outside behind the bathroom on the deck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Run a 14/3 and just put the pump and warmer on a 2pole 15 a breaker. Im guessing this is in your bathroom. :kidding:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,705 Posts
Unless the manufacturer calls for gfci then there is no reason to do so. I believe the last ones I wired did not require gfci--assuming direct wired units

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,705 Posts
The manufacturer of one we installed did not require a gfci, however the inspector made us install one.
Don't know about CEC but if they tried that on me I would fight it and have the inspector show me where it is in the NEC. They can't just make up their own rules. The job(inspecting) is tough enough so why aggravate things with stuff that doesn't exist

Reactions: brichter

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dennis Alwon said:
Don't know about CEC but if they tried that on me I would fight it and have the inspector show me where it is in the NEC. They can't just make up their own rules. The job(inspecting) is tough enough so why aggravate things with stuff that doesn't exist
True, except that with the NEC being a minimum standard and the inspector having discretion as an AHJ, they get away with it :D.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Direct wired does not need GFI protection...

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20ampere
receptacles installed in the locations specified in
210.8(A)(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuitinterrupter
protection for personnel.
(1) Bathrooms

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,705 Posts
True, except that with the NEC being a minimum standard and the inspector having discretion as an AHJ, they get away with it :D.
Only if you let them. They are the authority having jurisdiction but they are not suppose to enforce codes that are not there.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
It would be nice if I could land a 125 amp GFCI protected sub and cover everything including the Hot Tub outside behind the bathroom on the deck.
That probably would not be a good idea. Any leakage current would be additive from all connected loads and nuisance tripping would be more likely on the feeder breaker for the sub-panel.

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts