Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to be clear on this subject
26-720-F)
At least one receptacles shall be installed in each bathroom and washroom with a washbasin(s) and shall be located within 1 m of anyone washbasin

So...
I only need one receptacle as long as it's within 1 Meter of just one of the washbasins?
so in theory, if I had 4 washbasins I would only need 1 receptacle?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,669 Posts
We had that same question with the NEC years ago. It read something like, a receptacle adjacent to each sink. Many AHJ around here settled on a receptacle can service multiple sinks as long as you do not cross over the basin with the cord. So a counter with two sinks only needs one receptacle between the sinks.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,845 Posts
Just want to be clear on this subject
26-720-F)
At least one receptacles shall be installed in each bathroom and washroom with a washbasin(s) and shall be located within 1 m of anyone washbasin

So...
I only need one receptacle as long as it's within 1 Meter of just one of the washbasins?
so in theory, if I had 4 washbasins I would only need 1 receptacle?
If the 4 basins were within a meter from the receptacle, you only need the one.
2 receptacles would probably be the minimum.

lets say that on a track home, with 2 washbasins on the counter, you would only need 1 receptacle in the middle.
On a custom home, I would price and install 1 on each end of the counter.

BTW, had a home where only 1 receptacle was required. There were walls at each end of the counter. I had mounted the box under the switches, on the right side of the sink.
Customer wanted me to move the outlet to the left side. Her reasoning, which is completely logical, was that she holds the hair dryer with her left hand.
Customer is always right . ( as long as they are willing to pay )

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
4,031 Posts
I think there is a ESA bulletin on this. Not sure what province you are in, but our interpretation here is that you cannot "cross over" one wash basin to connect to the receptacle regardless how close the receptacle is. So depending on the layout, you could use two receptacles or might might need four.

Cheers
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.