Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do these fall under in the NEC for calculating the load? Or is the nameplate what I go by?

Does it fall under transformers?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
We just put l16-30s in all of our chargers and feed them with 30 amp breakers. It's more than enough to handle the load and allows the chargers to be moved around which is commonplace

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
We just put l16-30s in all of our chargers and feed them with 30 amp breakers. It's more than enough to handle the load and allows the chargers to be moved around which is commonplace
Depending on the nameplate amps 30s may be too big.

An NEC violtion but not one I would lose sleep over.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
BBQ said:
Depending on the nameplate amps 30s may be too big. An NEC violtion but not one I would lose sleep over.
What's the violation. I thought if you went over you were usually good. I've never seen a charger specify a max breaker size. Learn me

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Table 450.3(B) is not where I need to look?
Anyway, I have wired one so far. 208. I forgot the nameplate reading. It had internal fuses.

Currently there is an 80-85' run from a 480/277 in #3. It is on a 70 amp 3 pole breaker and stops at a JB. From there we have 4 existing battery chargers tapped from this.

3 of the current chargers nameplates show 11.6 amps and the 4th shows 9 amps.

I figure I could tap a 5th one from this that is rated at 13.6 amps.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
What's the violation. I thought if you went over you were usually good. I've never seen a charger specify a max breaker size. Learn me
In general you cannot protect equipment at over 150% of the label.

422.11(E)

(E) Single Non–motor-Operated Appliance. If the branch circuit supplies a single non–motor-operated appli-ance, the rating of overcurrent protection shall comply with the following:

(1) Not exceed that marked on the appliance.

(2) Not exceed 20 amperes if the overcurrent protection rating is not marked and the appliance is rated 13.3 amperes or less; or

(3) Not exceed 150 percent of the appliance rated current if the overcurrent protection rating is not marked and the appliance is rated over 13.3 amperes. Where 150 per-cent of the appliance rating does not correspond to a standard overcurrent device ampere rating, the next higher standard rating shall be permitted.
But I may be wrong calling a charger an appliance.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
So Table 450.3(B) is not where I need to look?
Anyway, I have wired one so far. 208. I forgot the nameplate reading. It had internal fuses.

Currently there is an 80-85' run from a 480/277 in #3. It is on a 70 amp 3 pole breaker and stops at a JB. From there we have 4 existing battery chargers tapped from this.
http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/A...TERSHOCK/WP_20131126_011_zpsc09cde7a.jpg.html

3 of the current chargers nameplates show 11.6 amps and the 4th shows 9 amps.

I figure I could tap a 5th one from this that is rated at 13.6 amps.
Gross. Isnt it just as quick to throw up a piece of conduit?

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Aftershockews.,

If my memory did serve me right after I did see that photo if you did set that charger bank in 480 volt format primary side they useally draw less than 15 amp the most ( of course verify the nameplate ) unless it ran on 208 volts then it will bounce around 35 or so.

It will run full rated load for first couple hours then after that it will tapered down.

You will need fused disconnect switch for sure. ( most chargers will have interal fuse as well so be aware with it.)

Merci.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Ultrafault said:
Gross. Isnt it just as quick to throw up a piece of conduit?
That's what happens when you turn loose a low ball hack in a place he shouldn't be

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Does not code required tap conductors to be in a raceway? I forget the article.

Mine will be in a raceway.
How far the JB to the charger unit ?

You're thinking of 240.21(B)(1)(3)
Maybe you are correct unless I did misunderstood one part with the tap rules reguarding of 10 ou 25 feet rules which it will cross my mind a little.

That part I will be checking little closer to make sure it is legit due I am used with French Nomes.

Merci.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,550 Posts
We have over 70 chargers where I work and none are on a breaker larger than 20.
All my 3 phase chargers are on 15 amp breakers.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I just wired one on a 30A 3P 480V circuit. The internal fuses were 35A and I know the nameplate called for a minimum 30A circuit, but next time I'm there, I'll have to remember to check and take a pic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts