Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we're getting glimpse of what the future will be like.

How Tesla Batteries Are Powering an Energy Revolution

They’ve started appearing in a small number of California homes to store electricity generated by rooftop solar panels, and beginning today SolarCity, the Silicon Valley solar installer, will start providing Tesla batteries for businesses that want to cut their utility bills. A big box retailer like Walmart could charge up a Tesla battery pack with cheap energy produced by its SolarCity rooftop photovoltaic array and then tap that power when demand—and electricity rates—spike.
Electricity prices will fluctuate as much or more than current gas prices. When the price goes above a programmed threshold, the backup energy will go online.

Also great if there's a brown out or black out.

Get in the game, boys! The future will be hear before we know it.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
But the gubbermint will subsidize it and all the unions will be installing them.:laughing:
The company is doing a PV job now with 66,000+ panels. It would not be happening if not for the subsidizes. But of course we are not union, they are stuck on the outside looking in. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As the subsidies come off the various forms of energy production (front end or back end subsidies), the cost of energy is absolutely going to rise. The unsubsidized cost of "clean" energy will be the same or less than the full cost "dirty" energy. That won't be cheap… efficiency will reign, and market manipulation from both suppliers and consumers will inevitably become the norm.

Forget solar cells even... I could see it become economical for commercial and residential customers to charge battery banks from the grid during off peak, to use in offsetting their peak usage costs. Among many other "predictions."

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
It's a pipe dream at this point, but in theory large amounts of electric vehicles could be equivalent to a big peaker-plant because of their storage capacity.

It'd be a tough system to work out though, because nobody would be happy to discover that while they'd been "charging" their vehicle, the utility had been emptying it.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
As the subsidies come off the various forms of energy production (front end or back end subsidies), the cost of energy is absolutely going to rise. The unsubsidized cost of "clean" energy will be the same or less than the full cost "dirty" energy. That won't be cheap… efficiency will reign, and market manipulation from both suppliers and consumers will inevitably become the norm.

Forget solar cells even... I could see it become economical for commercial and residential customers to charge battery banks from the grid during off peak, to use in offsetting their peak usage costs. Among many other "predictions."

Sounds good, but if I could predict the future I'd be sitting on Wall Street.
I am still waiting on my flying car I was promised in the 60's.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
It's a pipe dream at this point, but in theory large amounts of electric vehicles could be equivalent to a big peaker-plant because of their storage capacity.

It'd be a tough system to work out though, because nobody would be happy to discover that while they'd been "charging" their vehicle, the utility had been emptying it.
Add the fact that the vehicles would typically be in use at the same time peak loading is going on.

There are a ton of ideas out there right now and that is great, some of them may help but IMO many of them are simply people trying to score big on the green thing. There is nothing wrong with that and that is what drives new ideas we just need to look at things objectively and not just accept all ideas are good ideas.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Unless there is a huge change in our ability to harvest green power I don't think there is any way to avoid going nuke.

On a good day the sun only produces 1000 watts per sq meter so even if 100% efficiency could be archived a 100 x 100 meter solar array would only provide 10,000 kw.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I think in the long run, even with solar panels you won't escape paying thru the nose.
Cause as the take up of solar panel increases, the government will see
there income from electricity falling, so what will they do to make up for it ?
They will simply bring in new regulations and charges and start charging people for having solar panels !
You can bet on it !

The Australian government has already tried to do this in Australia.
They wanted to charge people $500.00 per year for having solar panels ! OUTRAGOUS !

The problem is the "GOVERNMENT" .

We could very easily have much more electricity generated
but the greenie's and the government won't allow it !

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
bobelectric said:
Even in gloomy 15330 I'm seeing alot of windmill and solar panel installs. Mostly thanks to the shale gas royalties.
Another fracking disaster waiting to happen

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Who owns the distribution system in the USA ?
The distribution is owned by public utilities, the power generation is owned by public or private utilities, the coordination and control is done by ISOs and RTOs, which are federally regulated controlling bodies. Not sure where their funding comes from.

I'll see if I can find articles, but there are utilities in other countries that have proposed "solar taxes" to make up for lost revenue due to micro-generation. It's crap.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.