Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I have a problem. I used to use 110 2-volt batteries to power a series of lights that need (you guessed it) 220 Volt to turn on. However I decided to change these batteries with 19 12-volt batteries (228 Volt). My question is : will I be able to charge the new batteries with the system I used to charge the old ones? Or do I need to make any modifications?
I'm sorry if I'm not very clear. You can ask me for more details.
Also if the topic is on a wrong section please let me know and I'll move it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If the battery chemistry is the same, most likely. However, if the internal impedance is much smaller or much higher than what the charger is designed for, it will either think the battery is sulphated and give up, or think there is a short and give up. This is a major possibility when you start stringing a ton of batteries together.

If the chemistry of the battery is not compatible with the charger, it will use a different charging curve which could be catastrophic depending on the type of the battery (LiPo for instance).

Try it, and monitor the temperature of the bank closely while they charge. Might also be good to put a current meter on it to make sure they are being charged as the manufacturer recommends.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.