Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what BC Hydro's position is on supplying 120/208v 3-phase to a residential premises?

I have HV 3-phase at the pole on my front street. A half mile down the street another homeowner has what looks like a private pole with HV 3-phase coming into 3 pole mounted transformers, and an overhead 120/208V service to a modest garage/studio type building.

I would sooner have a single 200A 3Ø for my house and shop (72kva) than dual 200A or single 400A 1Ø.

Are they any certain arguments one could make for 3Ø? :whistling2: (I do hope to get a lathe and milling machine at some point... hopefully industrial auction type stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,752 Posts
Did a 35000 sq ft house in Ontario, 3 phase right at the street and Hydro wouldn't do it. Not sure why, this house is practically a commercial building! Ended up running a 800 amp, single phase service. Needed two 3 phase converters for the elevator and a metal lath.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Needed two 3 phase converters for the elevator and a metal lath.
It sucks how the media and internet make you think.
I read this as "...elevator and meth lab." :laughing:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went by the local BC Hydro works yard... the guy I talked to said there's no reason why not, but didn't know the particulars (i.e. who pays for transformers). I got contact info for the design technician. :)

I know I can do separate 200A services for the shop and house - there's another utility pole at the back of my property. But that means two meters, and still no 3-phase. :blink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Why don't you put a dual lug meter socket (200A) on the shop and put a 100A panel in the shop and a 200A panel in the house? That's what I did in my place.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think the 200' of 200a Teck might kill me.. or the digging will. :blink:

Although that would be an interesting way to bring in 3-phase, albeit from the front. ;)

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,246 Posts
IDK about BC Hydro, but MB requires a minimum 15 HP motor and minimum load of the equivalent of 25 HP of motor load before they will drop 3 phase.
Also, here, the customer pays the whole shot of the Hydro costs.:eek:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I can't obviously talk about BC, but I've done a couple resi 3-phase services in my area. The costs start at the pole instead of the point of attachment. That's the biggest change. Air conditioning load is what made the 3-phase service desirable in each of my cases. You get much over a 5-ton unit, and you start thinking 3-phase equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts