Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Sad, I'm sure it's going to get talked about at work tomorrow.

There was a bear sighting the other day at the camp I'm currently staying at. It was about 200m from where I sleep. No food is allowed out of the dining hall except packed lunches and all doors/windows have to be locked for that reason.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
Anthromopucket global warming due to Chevy Blazers. Always affects bears in negative ways. Messes up the Yankee's too.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,612 Posts
Anthromopucket global warming due to Chevy Blazers. Always affects bears in negative ways. Messes up the Yankee's too.
A person dies and you make a joke of it?
Disgusting, your parents would be real proud of you!
And Harry, you fall in right behind him for laughing at it

·
Electrical Contractor
5,612 Posts
Of all the ways to buy it on the job, now add indigenous wildlife.....~CS~
Bears walking into camp are quite common.
Many years ago, a young naive engineer, was killed by a bear, when the guy decided to go sight seeing around Norman Wells. Sucks
Had a site foreman almost get attached, while on a pipeline compressor station project.
Can't imagine the pain and terror, one would go thru.

Condolences to the young ladies family,

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A menstruating women in the woods during springtime in bear country is darwin awards worthy.
What a stupid comment. It's spring. It was a skinny bear.

I lived in a mountain town with lots of bears. Never had a problem but bears need to eat, particularly in the spring and fall. If you accidentally get between a bear and a food source, you're in trouble.

This wasn't in the woods. It was at a camp at a big industrial site. Calling it a camp isn't quite right actually. It's more like a hotel.

Bears attacking menstruating women can happen but it's rare.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
What a stupid comment. It's spring. It was a skinny bear.

I lived in a mountain town with lots of bears. Never had a problem but bears need to eat, particularly in the spring and fall. If you accidentally get between a bear and a food source, you're in trouble.

This wasn't in the woods. It was at a camp at a big industrial site. Calling it a camp isn't quite right actually. It's more like a hotel.

Bears attacking menstruating women can happen but it's rare.
A skinny bear isnt a hungry bear?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
A carpenter friend of mine almost got the bear years ago. He didn't like the jobsite's greenhouse, preferring mother nature instead.....so we see him coming outta the woods all elbows and heels:eek:, pants 1/2 up

he conceded to greenhouses after that....;)

i don't know what to say about it? Maybe CC starts looking better?

~CS~

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was asking to clarify what you said, have you heard of doing that before now?
Bears are amazing animals. I used to watch them out my window. It was better than watching a movie. They are extremely athletic. They look big and slow but they're not.

I was at the back of the grocery store one time watching a bear climb into a dumpster. Kids came along and started banging the dumpster with hockey sticks. I told them to quit being stupid.

I have done a lot of back country hiking and black bears don't scare me. Grizzlies, they scare me. Bears experience intense hunger. They're big animals and have to eat a lot of bugs and berries just to live day to day. When they wake up hungry in the spring and when they are fattening themselves up in the fall, they are obsessed with eating. This bear probably caught a whiff of the camp kitchen. This unfortunate woman probably accidentally got in the way. It could have been over in a matter of seconds.

I once watched a bear unearth a rock looking for bugs. It would have taken a couple of guys with shovels an hour to move that rock. He did it with a swipe of his paw. Pound for pound, they're probably one of the strongest mammals there is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.