Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago, I became a Generac dealer. I was hoping that they would provide some training on how to install/sell/promote their products, but they fell short of my expectations.

Long story short, I have never installed a standby generator. Therefore, I don't feel comfortable installing/selling/promoting them unless I have adequate training. I attempted to go thru a Generac training last year, but they were only interested in trying to teach me how to service their products, not how to install.

Can I expect a better training experience thru Kohler? I met with the local Kohler distributor today, and it sounds like just what I need. Their training that they are offering is a 4 day class on everything from how to install to how to sell them to the old lady down the street. It all sounds good to the uneducated ear.

What are your thoughts? Is Kohler worth my time, effort, and money? They are wanting ~$700 for the class and ~$300 to register and a $45 annual fee.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I've work with another EC who is a Kohler dealer from time to time. Very well trained and knows the machines inside and out. It's a cash cow for him too.

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
Considering your dissatisfaction with Generac and my experience as both a Generac and a Kohler dealer having been through both manufacturers training my answer would be; no, I do not think it would be worth your time, effort and money. IMHO

·
Can't Remember
10,154 Posts
Best to have someone you trust help you with an install. Not anything to fear really, but it does take planning. Every install is a little different. Where is the gas going to be, what type of gas? Do you have a competent gas fitter to work with? Don't just assume the propane company knows what they are doing. Spend time with your customer finding out what they need and can afford. Use the different types of transfer switches to your advantage. Knowing how the generator works and a little about how to fix it is good, even if you don't plan on doing service. Do you want to do annual maintenance? Do you have someone for warranty issues? Logistics, how to get the unit to the site and on to the pad. You can do it, as do I and many others here. After a few successes you'll be on your own.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You don't need a class to install Generac. I too was intimidated when I first started selling them, but my first install ended all my fears. It was a 14 KW mounted 8 feet high on the side of the house with a 200 amp Smart Switch.

All you need to know is that there are 6 control wires, N1, N2, T1, 194, 23, and 0. There are labeled terminal blocks on the generator and switch.

Next you need to run a feeder from the generator to the transfer switch. Do you know how to size feeders? Then you're good. This job I used #2 SER.

Do know how to install a new service. That's what you're doing with a service rated transfer switch. Take the SEU or whatever feeders from the meter that are going into the panel, refeed the panel with SER or 4 wire feeders, seperate the grounds and neutrals, and run all the bonding to the switch. A select circuit transfer switch is way easier. It's just a sub panel.

With this order I bought Generac's generator cart. It's been a life saver. Not that I needed it for this job. I got 2 pieces of plywood and an hvac hand crank lift.

I did do the $600 Generac service training. It didn't teach much, but it gave me the perks as a dealer to take advantage of offering financing and using their sales program. To get the real training, you need to go to there 7 day University in Wisconsin. For now I have a local guy who takes care of warranty issues if there over my head.

You can do Generac. There tech support is very helpful and I used them the first few installs. Like when I put in 2 200 amp Smart switches on a 400 amp service.

That's how we all started. Now stop making excuses and go put in your first generator. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

·
Registered
31,896 Posts
Read the book follow all local and national codes, this is just another electrical component, nothing really out of the ordinary.

Worse case get with another EC (if you have any friends doing installs)

Or do a freebie install with Flyboy or Franklin.

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
You don't need a class to install Generac. I too was intimidated when I first started selling them, but my first install ended all my fears. It was a 14 KW mounted 8 feet high on the side of the house with a 200 amp Smart Switch.

All you need to know is that there are 6 control wires, N1, N2, T1, 194, 23, and 0. There are labeled terminal blocks on the generator and switch.

Next you need to run a feeder from the generator to the transfer switch. Do you know how to size feeders? Then you're good. This job I used #2 SER.

Do know how to install a new service. That's what you're doing with a service rated transfer switch. Take the SEU or whatever feeders from the meter that are going into the panel, refeed the panel with SER or 4 wire feeders, seperate the grounds and neutrals, and run all the bonding to the switch. A select circuit transfer switch is way easier. It's just a sub panel.

With this order I bought Generac's generator cart. It's been a life saver. Not that I needed it for this job. I got 2 pieces of plywood and an hvac hand crank lift.

I did do the $600 Generac service training. It didn't teach much, but it gave me the perks as a dealer to take advantage of offering financing and using their sales program. To get the real training, you need to go to there 7 day University in Wisconsin. For now I have a local guy who takes care of warranty issues if there over my head.

You can do Generac. There tech support is very helpful and I used them the first few installs. Like when I put in 2 200 amp Smart switches on a 400 amp service.

That's how we all started. Now stop making excuses and go put in your first generator. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

View attachment 34994
If you can do it, anyone can do it. :laughing: :jester:

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Your attitude sounds pretty poor. Its probably not a good choice for you. Some guys let fear run their lives and others are more willing to take a chance. Running a business and being an entrepreneur is all about facing and overcoming challenges.
I dont know everything but I wont shy away from stuff.. if I did that I would never get were I am now. Ive learned more stuff since ive gone out on my own then I did working for other contractors.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
There are a world of generator conscripts to choose from out there

So my answer to the OP is, know how to slice their throats :thumbsup:

Understand, you're part of a dog eat dog capitalist system which preaches just that

Find a DIY'er customer who likes to shop, guide him/her on line , USE this person to do all the labor and legwork, because they never consider their own time valuable

I've done this repeatedly , made my $$$, and zero responsibility for anything other than my own interface btw

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
. Ive learned more stuff since ive gone out on my own then I did working for other contractors.
It would seem, following you these past years, that you've indeed done well for yourself Cap'n.:thumbsup:

But what you're not hearing is the best teacher ever, and that teacher is failure

Few will own up to their failures, fewer still allow anyone to gain from them

Myself, i've stumbled fairly hard in my past, and almost always on the heels of some stuffed shirt telling me how they made good on such and such and so & so....:no:

This place is lean with the former, and lousy of the latter sort

Hope you see that

~CS~

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Your attitude sounds pretty poor. Its probably not a good choice for you. Some guys let fear run their lives and others are more willing to take a chance. Running a business and being an entrepreneur is all about facing and overcoming challenges.
I dont know everything but I wont shy away from stuff.. if I did that I would never get were I am now. Ive learned more stuff since ive gone out on my own then I did working for other contractors.
really? how would you come to the conclusion that he has a poor attitude, and that getting training would not be a good choice for him?

sounded to me like he was just trying to get some feedback on what the Kohler training was about

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
If your that unsure about something pick up a book and read it.
IMO the guys that want something find a way to make it work.
The kohler training in wisconsin is great and expensive but unless you do it everyday you will eventually need to pick up a book and read up again. Our type of work is really based on experience.
I learned a ton of stuff when I went to trade school but again unless you do it everyday it will eventually get forgotten.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
When I did my first air cooled on my own I was nervous too and again when I did my first 80kw 480 gen set i was nervous too but you work through it.
Now im working on my first 600 amp 480/277 service upgrade that involves renting a big portable to keep other stores going while we work on as well as working with a asphalt/paving contractor and a few other things that I havent done yet but im working through it.
If you want it bad enough you will find a way...just dont act like it someone elses fault for your short comings.... that is quickly becoming the mantra for many in the USA.

·
Can't Remember
10,154 Posts
I thought they did a decent job the two times I have been through air cooled of covering install principles. Remember, this isn't much different than other installs of equipment we put in, you have to use your knowledge of materials to figure out how to get wiring from point a to b. Generac has dedicated sales training if you want it and a ton of marketing materials from flyers, I pad software, and vehicle signage. I thought ASNE and Zabatt both put on good classes. You can only cram so much into two days. The rest is the effort you put into it. After you have done a couple, its not too bad.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.