Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
How does some one go about this? Do companies hire trainees? Out do they mostly hire journey level?
You've got to be a good trouble man, you must be able to figure out problems on the fly and never give up on the challenge,,,,Ever that will show as your working and all of a sudden you'll be in a service truck.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Some shops will hire on apprentices, but not usually a completely green one. We hired one recently that has about 6-8 months to get her hours, then she'll journey out. I wasn't looking for an apprentice, but the lack of qualified Jman made me get one that was close.

It gives us a chance to continue her training in a service based method vs. just the construction.

Try out the larger service shops in your area, keep going back and asking what you can do to get hired. Ask if you can do a ride along to see what it is like.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Service work isn't a whole lot more than the boy scout creed with a Fluke meter

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It means service is where a lot of us started, some of us fairly green, where the companie(s) we worked for simply sent us out with little more than a clean shave and new uniforms

Service is the biggest book/cover game going Hma

~CS~

·
Can't Remember
10,431 Posts
Being clean cut, shaven, and personable is important. You have to work around people's stuff and not damage it. Expect a mountain of stuff piled right where you have to work. Cleaning up after yourself is critical.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yep like everyone else said keep it clean (cleaner than you found it), always act professional even when it is far from working out, trouble shoot correctly and efficiently, know the code (not just the current code either) knowing how/why they wired it sometimes helps with troubleshooting, NEVER STOP LEARNING.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
chicken steve said:
It means service is where a lot of us started, some of us fairly green, where the companie(s) we worked for simply sent us out with little more than a clean shave and new uniforms Service is the biggest book/cover game going Hma ~CS~
Really? Where I started only the older guys with the experience and great trouble shooting skills got that gravy stuff .
Better than the slugging all day for sure.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
running pipe and doing service work are the 2 things I dont get tired of, only because it is constantly different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
running pipe and doing service work are the 2 things I dont get tired of, only because it is constantly different.
Service work is great, if you have the right kind of mind for troubleshooting. Some do, some don't. I'll never understand guys who enjoy running conduit. My brother is the same way, nothing makes him happier than running a big rack of pipe. To each their own.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Really? Where I started only the older guys with the experience and great trouble shooting skills got that gravy stuff .
Better than the slugging all day for sure.
You lucked out Hma, lot of us were sent out w/o having that advantage

generally, the public was completely unaware

~CS~

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
chicken steve said:
You lucked out Hma, lot of us were sent out w/o having that advantage generally, the public was completely unaware ~CS~
I'm doing it all wrong!! What made me think a guy should know what he is doing ? Although now that you mention it , I do see a lot of 20 something dudes in service trucks. I just assumed"helpers" for the guy with all the knowledge . It wasn't all that easy to get the good service guys to teach me when I was young. They had the attitude that if I know what they know our boss wouldn't need them. I made a lot less coin !

·
Registered
194 Posts
You lucked out Hma, lot of us were sent out w/o having that advantage

generally, the public was completely unaware

~CS~
Your company really sent out unqualified personel without having at least 1 person with experience? Did they go under?

"Generally the public was completely unaware"- that's pretty cool chicken steve huh? Are you proid you guys did good wasting people's money?? That can't be what your saying....

As to the O.P:as people already stated on here, service work is something you NEED to be taught and guided through. I don't have the money for mistakes of trial and error with some of the equipment I work with, I'm surprised chicken steves company did/does. Having someone WILLING to teach you is a beautiful thing.

I do some service work and can say expect to deal with:
- ballasts & pin socket repairs, flourescent lense replacements.
- Re lamping M.H., Ballast changing and capacitor testing/ changing. Photocell installs and repairs.
- Time clock replacing, occupancy sensor Switch replacing, Exhaust fan repairs, automatic door install repairs.
- Emergency lighting Testing and repairs
- equipment failure diagnoatics.
-CCTV troubleshooting, DVR Networking, Camera Adjustments, equipment upgrades, etc.
- Motor Sizing, additional start/stop station installs, indicator lights and alarm circuits for special equiment.
-low voltage controls- replacing time delay relays, contactors and ice cube relays, fuses, proximity probes, electro mechanical valves, etc.

Attachments

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I don't feel the need to defend myself from something i didn't :censored: say Boston

What i will say is, my past was peppered with being involved in larger (by Vt standards) companies who , between contracts, used service calls to keep the help busy.

I learned there were a lot of apprentices , of every service trade, being kicked around in the field back then.....still that way too

Why? well the world might ask a lot of an EC walking into a large job, credentials, insurance, oversight bureaucracy(s) etc.

But the public rarely if ever asks, nor do these elements necessarily exist on service calls.
:whistling2:DO YOU PULL A PERMIT FOR EVERY SERV CALL?:whistling2:

That said....I'll let you get back to posting our trades hacks

That's right, it ain't always Joe Handyman, Bloody do gooder libtards ,or the Maint man ....

~CS~

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
be thorough and comprehensive, if you see something wrong don't be afraid to tell the customer. don't be afraid to offer a panel tune up, or upgrade to GF I,etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't feel the need to defend myself from something i didn't :censored: say Boston

What i will say is, my past was peppered with being involved in larger (by Vt standards) companies who , between contracts, used service calls to keep the help busy.

I learned there were a lot of apprentices , of every service trade, being kicked around in the field back then.....still that way too

Why? well the world might ask a lot of an EC walking into a large job, credentials, insurance, oversight bureaucracy(s) etc.

But the public rarely if ever asks, nor do these elements necessarily exist on service calls.
:whistling2:DO YOU PULL A PERMIT FOR EVERY SERV CALL?:whistling2:

That said....I'll let you get back to posting our trades hacks

That's right, it ain't always Joe Handyman, Bloody do gooder libtards ,or the Maint man ....

~CS~
Lol, sorry steve, I re - read my post. I'm definetly a douchebag, still feel the same way though. Don't waste people's money, you weren't your company was if they sent u out alone. Plus you could have got hurt. We don't wanna see that happen.

In your defense, NO I don't pull permits on EVERY service call... YES I have also INADVERTENTLY wasted the customers money due to MY lack of knowledge/ experience on some equipment and no I'm not better than you, you don't need me to tell you that you know what your doing, I bust balls I'm sorry it's all in good fun.

I need to think of some of the ******ed stuff I've done and post it so you guys don't think I'm a bully. When it comes to mistakes, I'm confident I've got alot of people on here beat, I make mistakes alot, luckily I have learned from most.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts