Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm in a unique position right now, at least to Me. I'm active duty military & the job I have isnt transferrable in the civilian world. I'm trying to become an electrician in the future. I have 4 years left on active. My job is time consuming so going to a community college or apprenticeship isn't likely to happen. I'm getting $4,500 a year for classes/certs. What classes/certs should I take to better situate myself to become an electrician. Also have the GI bill that pays Me to go to school, but less if I chose an apprenticeship (GI bill for when I separate) I'm out here by myself looking for guidance from individuals already in the trade.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
if there is an option to stay in the military and slide sideways into a technical position that does have civilian application, that might be an avenue you might consider, since the military technical training you get is probably better than the civilian alternative, and also lead to interesting and well paid civilian technical positions.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Main thing is I don't want to waste the 4,500 I get a year for classes. What kind of courses should I get into to boost my resume as an electrician
Take an algebra course also look at converting your other training into credits towards an AA in applied science. I got credit hours for NCO. School

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey guys I'm in a unique position right now, at least to Me. I'm active duty military & the job I have isnt transferrable in the civilian world. I'm trying to become an electrician in the future. I have 4 years left on active. My job is time consuming so going to a community college or apprenticeship isn't likely to happen. I'm getting $4,500 a year for classes/certs. What classes/certs should I take to better situate myself to become an electrician. Also have the GI bill that pays Me to go to school, but less if I chose an apprenticeship (GI bill for when I separate) I'm out here by myself looking for guidance from individuals already in the trade.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service...:thumbsup:

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
try Electrical correspondence courses maybe? donators much time to Habitat for Humanity as you can, you will be around the residential environment and ask if you can help with the electrical. contact a local JC electrical teachers see what books they're using, read those books and visit with the teacher occasionally get some tutoring. maybe try to work part time on the weekends at electrical contractor also try: electric motor repair shops or something?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
try Electrical correspondence courses maybe? donators much time to Habitat for Humanity as you can, you will be around the residential environment and ask if you can help with the electrical. contact a local JC electrical teachers see what books they're using, read those books and visit with the teacher occasionally get some tutoring. maybe try to work part time on the weekends at electrical contractor also try: electric motor repair shops or something?
Thank you, I'll look into all of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.