Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NJ contractors license but most of my professional experience is in technology (25yrs). I recently started a smart home (automation) business that focuses on cross-compatibility. My intention is to come here every so often to contribute and gain valuable insight. Thanks.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,668 Posts
When you say 'contractor's license' you mean electrical contractor?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Tim

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,411 Posts
You've been reading the posts...and still decided to join???

You haven't been to the Controversial Topics threads, have you?

Do you know Chicken Steve?

Reactions: brian john

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,790 Posts
Welcome to ET.
You'll enjoy the place.

Why do the batteries in my multi-media remote not last forever?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you say 'contractor's license' you mean electrical contractor?
I have a general contractor's license in the state of NJ. I took a basic electrical course about a year ago to get some hands on experience. It was a seasonal course taught by a Master Electrician (at a local trade school), but it peaked my interest in the electrical trade. I use some of what I learned to troubleshoot device compatibility and to build rack mount servers. I plan to contribute to this forum the best I can from a technology perspective and to also use it as an additional resource.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,668 Posts
I have a general contractor's license in the state of NJ. I took a basic electrical course about a year ago to get some hands on experience. It was a seasonal course taught by a Master Electrician (at a local trade school), but it peaked my interest in the electrical trade. I use some of what I learned to troubleshoot device compatibility and to build rack mount servers. I plan to contribute to this forum the best I can from a technology perspective and to also use it as an additional resource.
Unless something has changed in the last 10 years you can't do electrical work without an 'electrical contractors license in NJ.

Reactions: SteveBayshore

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Unless something has changed in the last 10 years you can't do electrical work without an 'electrical contractors license in NJ.
Correct. But I still need to troubleshoot issues relating to resource problems on computers. It's usually poorly written code that pushes a computer to its limits but it could also be an inadequate power supply for the set-up. I like to have an idea of what the problem is before running it by someone else. But yea, I don't do electrical work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol!

"I have a general contractor's license in the state of NJ."

But my impression wasn't wrong.
LOL. I don't do hands-on electrical work. Just troubleshoot computer problems, whether they are software related, security issues, or power related. Power problems are less likely (usually bad code or a security issue on the network) but its good to at least have a basic understanding of the electrical portion just in case I need to reach out to a pro.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
One of my most notable "clients" on an unpermitted job when I worked for the city bldg dept was from Jersey.

When I asked if he's a licensed contractor he said "No but I do good work. You can call the inspector in New Jersey and he'll tell you that."

I have many friends from Jersey. All very good people.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,668 Posts
Correct. But I still need to troubleshoot issues relating to resource problems on computers. It's usually poorly written code that pushes a computer to its limits but it could also be an inadequate power supply for the set-up. I like to have an idea of what the problem is before running it by someone else. But yea, I don't do electrical work.
Oh I gotcha.

Having work in controls and building automation in NJ for years I've seen, removed, and repaired a lot of system components installed or "modified" by guys that were 'contractors' of the non-electrical kind.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I don't know how you intend to contribute - you're if anything, a GC, a general contractor - a license anyone can get by paying a fee which simply proves you have liability insurance if you step through a wall or break a pipe and flood the place. You're in technology - IT or some such... yet you've started a home automation business? W/O an electrician's license... which means the first switch plate you remove for a customer is a crime, not to mention the replacing of the switch with your smart-switch, and touching any wiring in order to automate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know how you intend to contribute - you're if anything, a GC, a general contractor - a license anyone can get by paying a fee which simply proves you have liability insurance if you step through a wall or break a pipe and flood the place. You're in technology - IT or some such... yet you've started a home automation business? W/O an electrician's license... which means the first switch plate you remove for a customer is a crime, not to mention the replacing of the switch with your smart-switch, and touching any wiring in order to automate it.
I do home automation because I understand the technology better than most. It's been my profession for 25 years. It's not always about troubleshooting the electrical components with smart home devices...and for that, like I said, I can get assistance from someone in the field.

As far as troubleshooting goes, there are forums on this website where people asked about certain devices and their reliability. That I can answer. I have tested many products under various conditions, built my own software, and even corrected code that causes some devices to stop working. Electronics can stop working for various reasons, sometimes it's a power problem and sometimes it is not. A technology professional could have questions about properly powering large devices (say a video wall for instance) under certain conditions, just like an electrician could have questions about a software problem on an install he/she is currently working on. No one knows everything so we use forums such as this to help troubleshoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I also wanted to stress that I have a GC license/insurance because NJ requires it for any type of home modification work (even some landscaping). My professional background is in technology (systems analyst, network security, and programmer) with a few years of construction experience under my belt. And if you think someone with a career in computer systems is unqualified to start a "smart home" business or give an electrician insight into why something is not working, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a team effort when problems occur.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.