Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I've researched a lot about linemen and general electrician but I'm still not sure exactly what I want to pursue. I hear it's not the easiest to have a relationship as a linemen. Is there is a balance between work and family? How hard would it be to get an apprenticeship? Do I have to know an electrician to get in? Any feed back would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,450 Posts
Its difficult to get into a union apprenticeship and knowing someone is for sure an advantage. However this is where you will get the best training and usually get paid the best.
It might be easier to get into lineman work as I think those companies directly hire the perspective employees. With a union inside wireman apprenticeship, you will interview and test through the local union. This is where its advantageous if you know someone. Its not a requirement, but clearly helps.
There are also opportunities in non-union wireman jobs. Merit type jobs.
The guys here have lots of experience and will be valuable help. I suggest you listen to them. There are few places with so much knowledge.
Do not wait to go to work in this trade to see if it really is for you. You can find a job starting at the bottom to see where you are and where you can go.
Good luck.

Edit: Here is a current thread that may be interesting to you. IBEW Final Interview Help

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,664 Posts
Take what you can get period.
Once you are in a program FINISH it. After you have that piece of paper then worry about the direction you want to go. Know ahead of time there is no shortcut, you will bust butt and do the dirty work but think of it this way, someone has to do it and they are not going to pay the top guy to do it. If you work hard and learn before you know it someone else will be doing the grunt work.
Good luck
Cowboy

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
49 Posts
Check in your area if there is an apprenticeship program for general electrician and the same for lineman.

Here in California we have ABC for general electrician and trade schools for lineman.

ABC (associated builder and contractors) will find work for you thru out the apprenticeship time.

Lineman schools will teach you the basics and after that you are on your own to land a job with a power company.

I always wanted to be a lineman since I have friends that are; but I hit a big bump on the road and had to shift gears; I became an electrician.

I like what I do but lineman was my dream job.

But it comes down to what your passion is.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hackenschmidt
12,041 Posts
Hey y'all, I've researched a lot about linemen and general electrician but I'm still not sure exactly what I want to pursue. I hear it's not the easiest to have a relationship as a linemen. Is there is a balance between work and family? How hard would it be to get an apprenticeship? Do I have to know an electrician to get in? Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Travel isn't going to work for everyone, but be careful about generalizations you read on the internet. There are union inside wiremen in locals that don't get much work that have to travel all the time. There are union linemen at utility companies that don't travel much outside of storm work. In most places, the linemen make more money, and suffer more.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,450 Posts
Check in your area if there is an apprenticeship program for general electrician and the same for lineman.

Here in California we have ABC for general electrician and trade schools for lineman.

ABC (associated builder and contractors) will find work for you thru out the apprenticeship time.

Lineman schools will teach you the basics and after that you are on your own to land a job with a power company.

I always wanted to be a lineman since I have friends that are; but I hit a big bump on the road and had to shift gears; I became an electrician.

I like what I do but lineman was my dream job.

But it comes down to what your passion is.

Good luck.

Every time I see a guy in a bucket in ice cold weather with rain or ice or snow, I always think to myself...
"Boy am I glad I did not go that route"!
However, I know a guy that retired from Duke Energy and he had a gravy high paying job. He retired and died last year.

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
49 Posts
Every time I see a guy in a bucket in ice cold weather with rain or ice or snow, I always think to myself...
"Boy am I glad I did not go that route"!
However, I know a guy that retired from Duke Energy and he had a gravy high paying job. He retired and died last year.
Yup I would not do it in those conditions either.
I live in Southern California metro area we don’t get that kind of weather.
The lineman here make good money just to install nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,593 Posts
On the East Coast we have NEAT. The north east apprenticeship and training program. If you can get an apprenticeship with them, they will keep you working for an outside contractor during your apprenticeship, as long as work is available. So you wouldn’t be job hunting. They would be the ones that would take care of your on the job training as well as your class room training. I wouldn’t look into a school you would pay for yourself in hopes of finding a job after.

On their website they have a “Industry link” page. One of the links is for a North West apprenticeship training program. Looks like it does Northern California, Oregon and Washington? It looks like the regular NJATC has a program for California and Nevada.

Landing a job at a utility after would probably give you more job security, although I know a few guys that are never out of work, working for outside contractors. The few guys I knew that went through the program did have to go out of state (NJ) to get all their hours in for school. Not because they didn’t have work here. It was something to do with the type of work they had to work on.

Around here the local utility doesn’t do much, if any new line construction. Even if it’s moving poles for widening intersections. Everything gets subbed out to line contractors. The outside contractors seem to stay plenty busy.

Good luck on your endeavors.

·
Electron Factory.Worker
307 Posts
I always thought being a utility trouble man would be an awesome job. Drive around say “Yup that poles down”. Open some cutouts cut the wires out of the way, put in a tag and go home. Here you even get to take your truck home. Super chill job. Great for linemen who don’t want to live in the air anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.