Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am bending a 4pt saddle with all bends made in the air. If my hook stays pointed the same direction for all four bends, are all my bends made on the arrow? Basically, do I bend the first offset, slide the pipe down and bend again using the arrows? Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
It depends on how you layed your conduit out. You would ned to account the deduct from center to the arrow mark. I prefer to use the notch on the bender of the shoe as it will be close to the center of bend. I bend my offsets with the handle inverted as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You would be better off finding the center of whatever angle you are using and marking your bender for it. Its nice to have that anyway for common angles. The notch is the center of a 45 and the star is the center of a 90. I bend 4 points like they are 2 offsets in different directions.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
KGN742003 said:
You would be better off finding the center of whatever angle you are using and marking your bender for it. Its nice to have that anyway for common angles. The notch is the center of a 45 and the star is the center of a 90. I bend 4 points like they are 2 offsets in different directions.
Same as me, I have center of bend notched in all my hand benders for 10, 22, 30, 45, and 60

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'm a second year apprentice and the only thing I have used the notch for is a 3 point saddle. Please enlighten me on how you are using these notches on a 4 point. I am assuming if the notch (that is factory on the bender) is center of bend for a 45 then it's only good for 22.5-45-22.5 3pt?

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
travis13 said:
Ok I'm a second year apprentice and the only thing I have used the notch for is a 3 point saddle. Please enlighten me on how you are using these notches on a 4 point. I am assuming if the notch (that is factory on the bender) is center of bend for a 45 then it's only good for 22.5-45-22.5 3pt?
The only way to bend true 3 points is to make your own center of bend notches. I only use the arrow for 90s now, every kick and every offset is made using the center of bend notches. Dead nuts every time

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so 2 questions:

What is the procedure for making the center of bend marks on a bender?

Do you use these notches the same way I use the arrow? If I'm bending a 6" offset on a 30*, would I use the custom 30* notch on my two marks 12" apart?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
travis13 said:
Ok so 2 questions: What is the procedure for making the center of bend marks on a bender? Do you use these notches the same way I use the arrow? If I'm bending a 6" offset on a 30*, would I use the custom 30* notch on my two marks 12" apart?
no . The custom center notches are only for finding the center of that bend for 4 point saddles . If you're bending an offset , you can use any mark you want as long as you use the same mark for both bends .

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
drumnut08 said:
no . The custom center notches are only for finding the center of that bend for 4 point saddles . If you're bending an offset , you can use any mark you want as long as you use the same mark for both bends .
sorry , I meant 3 point saddles . I've never notched a bender for center bends other than the one it comes with ( for 45's ) . I would bend a 30 , then determine where the center of that bend is . Mark the shoe , and notch it .

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
travis13 said:
Ok so 2 questions: What is the procedure for making the center of bend marks on a bender? Do you use these notches the same way I use the arrow? If I'm bending a 6" offset on a 30*, would I use the custom 30* notch on my two marks 12" apart?
Put conduit in bender, mark conduit at the front of the hook, bend any angle you want, take conduit out, find center of the bend by using two straight edges, put conduit back in bender and align it with the front of the hook using the mark you made early, now you can see where center of that bend is on the shoe, notch show with bandsaw. Repeat for other angles. Use center notches for all bends now. Arrows are for newbis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.