Electrician Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Premium Member
Ya I鈥檓 not an electrician. I need advice though. I have a 4 point saddle going into a 12鈥 offset. I calculated slightly more than 31鈥 between bends at 22.5 degrees. I proceeded to make the first bend at the arrow and the 2nd bend at the back of bend mark. I missed my hanger by a couple inches. What the hell did I do wrong?

For the 4 point saddle, I went arrow, back of bend mark, back of bend mark, arrow and it came out correct (one joist is lower than the others which explains the downward angle)
View attachment 157276
Ive seen worse, just roll with it.

Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
Put an offset down on the end of that straight run to clear the 3/4 and steam line. From there roll an offset back up to your final direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
Original poster probably doesn't care anymore but I found a conduit bending book by Richard Cox. I found it extremely helpful in understanding the techniques and calculations since I do almost no conduit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Original poster probably doesn't care anymore but I found a conduit bending book by Richard Cox. I found it extremely helpful in understanding the techniques and calculations since I do almost no conduit.
OP most definitely cares. I might join the trade some day.

Registered
Journeyman
Well you did better than the 4th year apprentice I was working with last week and he had 20 weeks of conduit bending class his first 2 years of apprentice school. He did basically the same bends you did, a 4 bend saddle into an offset, to go up and over a 4ft duct and finished into the junction box at a 15 degree angle and thought that was good 馃...I made him redo it and showed him how it could be done in two offsets, one of them rolled.

I've probably run over a hundred thousand feet of conduit in my career so far and saddling is the least used bend. It takes to long to figure out and bend and it's hard to push wire through. Ive seen a lot of unnecessary saddles that could have been avoided with better planning but sometimes they are unavoidable...you could have avoided this one.

Offsets into a 90 are another over used combo that apprentices do. Usually you can accomplish the same thing with a 90 and a kick which eliminates 30 degrees of bend.

One other thing the only time I use a 22.5 degree bend is with a 3 point saddle where you have to bend a 45 and two 22.5. I use 30 degree for offsets probably 90% of the time , the multiplier is 2, the math is easy, it makes the work go faster. If you need a 2" or smaller offset use 10 degrees, the multiplier is 6, also easy to figure out

Registered
We give you a B+ on your install. It's not perfect but it's certainly much better than stinging romex in an area that could be exposed to damage.
You don't really need to install plastic bushings but it's all good.

Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
I鈥檓 not sure what I鈥檓 looking at? Is this a practice course for American Ninja Warrior?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I use a Klein emt bender. I bend just past the 22.5 and when you factor in the spring back, it鈥檚 close. I know it鈥檚 not over. If it was over, I would be off more than I am. I guess my question is what marks on my bender should I be using? Like I said earlier, 1st bend was arrow, 2nd bend was back of bend mark
I need to eat crow. I bought a 3/4鈥 Klein bender with a angle setter. Bent the 1/2鈥 with it so it had the same radius as the 3/4. Turns out I was over bending with the 1/2鈥 bender. Guess I was accounting for too much spring back

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I gotta admit this looks like my work...
Not sure if good or bad....
parallel bends are pissing me off. Wednesday night, I鈥檓 going to rebend the 3 pipes running right to left. Cut the straight sections and use them in the addition I鈥檓 putting on. Luckily I鈥檒l have use for random 2-3鈥 lengths in between stud bays. Only reason why I care so much how it looks
is because I want the inspectors first impression to be 鈥渢his guy knows what he鈥檚 doing.鈥 And if I ever lower the basement floor and make it livable, the ceiling will remain exposed. Can鈥檛 have crap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok...so 12 solid in 1/2 was a piss poor life choice. Anything more than 2 or 3 wires and it鈥檚 an absolute PITA. On a side note, wired my first three way tonight without blowing anything up. Woohoo.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts