Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im working on a new project that would require a PLC with atleast 20 output and 20+ input also. If possible something from Allen-Bradley or Schneider.

The closest i found was a micrologix 1000 with 32 IO

That project doesnt really need anything very complex and my budget is prety limited also. No analogic output or input is required for this project and will all be done with 24vdc

Would you consider buying something like a SLC 500 with enough Input_output slot ? or simply buy 2 PLC like micrologix 1000 ? or is there any other brand not so expensive that give us the possibility to add extension IO to them ? if possible i would prefer them with rslogix 500 or ZeliosSoft 2 for programming tool.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
how about their programmation software? Is it working in ladder like AB ? Can you have them for prety cheap ?

If that make any difference we already own Rslogix 500 and 5000 and Zelio Soft and Unity Pro. but like i said we need something with 20+ input/ouput that wont cost too much if possible. but still i need some quality.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
A-B Micro 820 is cheap, expandable and the software is free. For something that small, that's what I would use now.

ML1000 and SLC500 are both being phased out and software is not free .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jraef we will probably go for the AB micro 830 ( we decided that we would like bigger panel and more IO for future projet) unless our Schneider distributor show us something more interesting but i doubt it these look prety neat PLC.

Others PLC you guys show me look nice but where i work they arent very interested about buying online and all or try a new brand ( because we own already alot of AB and Schneider).

Thanks alot for your times guys !

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had that micro 830 in mind but we met some distributor from schneider today and they suggested a modicon M221 for this project and they told me if i wasnt happy they would buy me a Micro 830 lol. They also mentioned that the programming software Somachine basic that come with it was prety easy to learn for anyone that worked with rslogic 500.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,106 Posts
I had that micro 830 in mind but we met some distributor from Schneider today and they suggested a modicon M221 for this project and they told me if i wasnt happy they would buy me a Micro 830 lol. They also mentioned that the programming software Somachine basic that come with it was prety easy to learn for anyone that worked with rslogic 500.
Typical sales maneuvering to sell the product they rep.

I would do my own research and pick whats best for the facility.
When I was doing this type of work I had no care as to cost, but was really into keeping the status quo as far as equipment.
Its nice to have spare parts available on site.

I would pick something you already have in house. This way there is no learning curve and you will be consistent as far as manufacturers.

·
Electron Factory.Worker
351 Posts
I had that micro 830 in mind but we met some distributor from schneider today and they suggested a modicon M221 for this project and they told me if i wasnt happy they would buy me a Micro 830 lol. They also mentioned that the programming software Somachine basic that come with it was prety easy to learn for anyone that worked with rslogic 500.
Tell them that the AB rep offered to give you a Micro 830 and then see what he says :)

I haven't used the Modicon, but the screenshots of the SoMachine software look very similar to that of the Micro 800 series, either way I think that you will be fine, it just depends on which brand you have a preference for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i will never say bad stuff about micro 800 im very interested to try it someday i liked all AB plc so far. But i never really worked with Modicon and i guess that would be a good time to give them a chance and see what it really worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.