Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Swimmer
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this before but I couldn't find the old thread.
What is the best digital NEC?

I would mostly use it on my PC at home but I also have an android pad that I might load it on for field use.
Non-internet based (e.g. CD, DVD, downloadable) would be best for me since I'm sure the internet will be down when I critically need it.

I'd like
1. Good search engine
2. Illustrations (ala Mike Holt)
3. Interpretations (ala ECM and Mike Holt)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
I use the .PDF. That will work on any phone.

I think there's an iphone app for $10. Harry will know.

A search engine is for browsing the 'net. I think you mean Search function. Adobe has that in their viewer.

Illustrations and interpretations are in the Handbook.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I use the .PDF. That will work on any phone.

I think there's an iphone app for $10. Harry will know.

A search engine is for browsing the 'net. I think you mean Search function. Adobe has that in their viewer.

Illustrations and interpretations are in the Handbook.
It's $79.99 now they jacked up the price, but it's well worth it..It will load up on your iPhone and iPad for that price..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nec-2014-edition/id721048927?mt=8

Looks like it's $59.99 on android..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nfpa.code7014

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,324 Posts
I've asked this before but I couldn't find the old thread.
What is the best digital NEC?

I would mostly use it on my PC at home but I also have an android pad that I might load it on for field use.
Non-internet based (e.g. CD, DVD, downloadable) would be best for me since I'm sure the internet will be down when I critically need it.

I'd like
1. Good search engine
2. Illustrations (ala Mike Holt)
3. Interpretations (ala ECM and Mike Holt)
The NEC doesn't really have illustrations but you can get the handbook-- more money of course.

I have the 2011 handbook as a pdf but I have rarely looked at it

Reactions: swimmer

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,352 Posts
The best digital version of the NEC ?

The one you can get somebody else to pay for :thumbup:

I have the 2011 NEC, the 2014 NEC and the 2014 NEC Handbook on my desk top, my work Laptop, and on a SD card in my 2 in 1 laptop.

It all comes down to what your willing to pay. I prefer the NFPA versions myself. I don't really need it on my phone as I am always within a short walk of one of my laptops when I need to look something up. I find I use the digital versions more for emailing code sections to people.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
I don't like .pdf's of the NEC, but I paid full price for the Inkling e-book version of it and I don't like that much better either.

NFPA, BRING BACK THE OLD E-VERSION!!!!

Reactions: swimmer

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,324 Posts
I had joined the nfpa - I didn't mind the 100 dollars or so but I could not stand getting junk mail 3 or 4 times a week. What a waste of paper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.