Electrician Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Cool Kid
635 Posts
I've had a greenlee bx cutter for about five years. The old 1940, though I guess Amazon shows a new version. Anyway, it's lasted a long long time, despite heavy use. I didn't ever change the blade until last winter because we were wiring patient rooms and the spec called for steel jacketed hospital ac cable. That stuff is tough on a blade. But this one has outlasted a lot of folks' roto splits and Klein versions.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I've done the hacksaw thing in my early days. Did the rotozip thing. Got lazy and found that angled tin snips work the fastest for me. And on a good day I trim the armor 90° so the bushing sits flush to the connector.
For the most part, I've always used a Roto-split. But after a while, you can also become pretty quick using a pair of snips/***** instead. Whatever is easier.

I'd like to know if anybody uses those special Klein MC snips, and if they are any better than a regular pair of tin snips.

I have an ideal. Works ok, does it's job, then gets lost in the bottom of the tool box. Anyone use the MC-AP with the aluminum ground? Comes with a little adapter you stick on the cutter so you don't go too deep.
Do you need to use a special cutter with MC-AP?

·
Registered
149 Posts
For the most part, I've always used a Roto-split. But after a while, you can also become pretty quick using a pair of snips/***** instead. Whatever is easier.

I'd like to know if anybody uses those special Klein MC snips, and if they are any better than a regular pair of tin snips.

Do you need to use a special cutter with MC-AP?
Not that I know of. I think its personal preferance. They just give you 2 spacers, depends what kind of cutter you use as to what spacer you need. Keeps you from squeezing it too tight. It's just not as thick of a cable.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Not that I know of. I think its personal preferance. They just give you 2 spacers, depends what kind of cutter you use as to what spacer you need. Keeps you from squeezing it too tight. It's just not as thick of a cable.
Can you use snips too or will you risk cutting the bond wire?

I've been meaning to try MC-AP cable out the next time I have a good sized MC job. Just haven't had a chance yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you use snips too or will you risk cutting the bond wire?

I've been meaning to try MC-AP cable out the next time I have a good sized MC job. Just haven't had a chance yet.
Yeah you just cut off and bend it over per the instructions. AP has it's place I think, I feel like new construction with new four squares. Keeps the boxes cleaner. I just feel like sometimes it's nice to have that ground wire to make a good connection. . IMHO

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Who told you this? The bond strip is supposed to wrap around the outside of the jacket a few times.
No, it's not. That is just something that you do, not something that is supposed to be done.

As for MC-AP, the bond wire is a larger gauge and will not wrap around nicely like the small gauge bond wire in BX. The instructions for MC-AP clearly say to cut it flush with the jacket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No, it's not. That is just something that you do, not something that is supposed to be done.

As for MC-AP, the bond wire is a larger gauge and will not wrap around nicely like the small gauge bond wire in BX. The instructions for MC-AP clearly say to cut it flush with the jacket.
I have not used it in a few months but I thought there was something about bending it at like a 120 degree angle? We were using it with Arlington snap in connectors. Either way the instructions tell you what to do.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
I have not used it in a few months but I thought there was something about bending it at like a 120 degree angle? We were using it with Arlington snap in connectors. Either way the instructions tell you what to do.
I remember about 7-8 years ago when it first came out the supply house gave us some along with the new Rotosplit made to cut it. The tag on the cable showed pliers cutting the #10 aluminum bonding wire right near the jacket and didn't mention doing anything else with it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
samc said:
Who told you this? The bond strip is supposed to wrap around the outside of the jacket a few times. There really is no trouble with using tin snips, it's alot easier then you think.
Nope. That's just personal preference. Not required or even recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Of all the manufactures you can break them down into two. One with cellophane and the bond strip over top of the cellophane, And one without cellophane. Buy the one without cellophane. You'll make better time.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.