Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of recessed lights do you guys favor??? I have always used and like juno. Especially for old work. I have never had a problem with there 4" but as far as 5" I have stopped using juno and started using halo because of the trim. Juno 5" leaves a gap between the bulb and the trim and I think it looks like crap. (When using a standard BR30 bulb) and the halo 5" give a much cleaner look with the air tite trim. Looking for different options or what others are using and are happy with. What is your favorite recessed can/trim particularly in 5". Thanks!!

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Years ago all my customers wanted HD cheap 6-pack halo's. :(

Now they may be IC , or even AICT , listed/rated, but one look at them and it's obvious they're of lesser quality.:whistling2:

So i insisted that any can, which essentially employs heat in a hole, should be a can within a can. Lightolier, (just for ex.) , makes IC cans that have a square outer shell separating the inner trim by a few inches, and thereby disapating heat more effectively.

This becomes a concern for say, cans in a vaulted ceiling, and/or proximal to other systems , if not insulation concerns.

Over time i grew tired of addressing can QC , and having gone toe/toe with lighting ladies from :censored:Mars, archy's from :censored:Venus, and GC's from :censored:Pluto

Lately our co policy is these entities supply the cans, as long as they're listed/rated.

More of our bids /quotes/ est's are winners because of this too! :whistling2:

So if you ask me these days, HD & Halo 6 packs are groooooovy!! :thumbup:

~CS~

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cans from HD use to be total crap. Commercial electric ones still are absolute junk but the halos are decent and I get the halo 5" from my supply house for less than HD. I get why you would rather have someone else supply them but to me that's throwing money away. Why not make the extra profit on all the cans which can add up quick on larger jobs especially when you will be at supply house getting other stuff already so it's not like your saving any time. Just my opinion though. Thanks for the reply!!

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Estwing magic
26,734 Posts
I have one GC that I do time and material for on occasion. He's a cheap bastard. I buy All Pros and charge him for full blown Halo. I make ten bucks per can and he doesn't know the difference. Last job I did for him had thirty cans.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
We used to parse our bids out to either include lighting (which we would spec out) or offer a lighting allowance Brady.

Over time, we found this part of our work actually assumed a greater amount of focus , time, research per $$$ earned.

I've spent the lions share of 'walk throughs' as well as email banters discussing lighting , lighting desires, lighting designs with various entities ALL of whom want the most bang for a $$$, and have a multitude of resources to do just that, most of which have offerings better than you an i (because we are just another middleman)

Think on it this way, 'lighting by others' means we no longer have to hear any of this, nor log many hours for little P/E ratio.

Let the GC do their job here

We don't have to worry about standing behind or validating any lighting product (most of which are 3rd world sweatshop fare)

We don't have to warranty any of it , nor do we need worry about the 11th hour changes due to the usual fiscal irresponsibility at the trim stage of many jobs

BTW, my P/E is much better w/o 'lighting' , and our call back and change order rates are way down

~CS~

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
We used to parse our bids out to either include lighting (which we would spec out) or offer a lighting allowance Brady.

Over time, we found this part of our work actually assumed a greater amount of focus , time, research per $$$ earned.

I've spent the lions share of 'walk throughs' as well as email banters discussing lighting , lighting desires, lighting designs with various entities ALL of whom want the most bang for a $$$, and have a multitude of resources to do just that, most of which have offerings better than you an i (because we are just another middleman)

Think on it this way, 'lighting by others' means we no longer have to hear any of this, nor log many hours for little P/E ratio.

Let the GC do their job here

We don't have to worry about standing behind or validating any lighting product (most of which are 3rd world sweatshop fare)

We don't have to warranty any of it , nor do we need worry about the 11th hour changes due to the usual fiscal irresponsibility at the trim stage of many jobs

BTW, my P/E is much better w/o 'lighting' , and our call back and change order rates are way down

~CS~
Not necessarily a bad idea with the amount of junky LED products on the market.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I have one GC that I do time and material for on occasion. He's a cheap bastard. I buy All Pros and charge him for full blown Halo. I make ten bucks per can and he doesn't know the difference. Last job I did for him had thirty cans.
So you sold your soul for $300.:001_huh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big vic where do u get elite cans. I have a hard time finding them anywhere even online

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts