Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hardly ever do renos on houses old enough to have lath and plaster but I'm doing one right now.

I normally use F-clips but they won't work on walls this thick. What's my Plan B?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
If you are using romex, the clips on these are are plenty deep for lathe/plaster. Slater brand.

I think I'll make my hole and then get the GC to glue a 2 X 2 inside the wall beside the box with some PL400.
Just screw the backing into place thru the plaster/lathe. Two little drywall screw heads are simple to patch/fill.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you are using romex, the clips on these are are plenty deep for lathe/plaster. Slater brand.

Just screw the backing into place thru the plaster/lathe. Two little drywall screw heads are simple to patch/fill.

I've been using those for years on plaster lath, they work great for switches. For receptacles we always cut in right alongside a stud. This way you can use a "Smart Box" and screw it right to the stud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They make F clips with longer fingers. These were the best I found. You can take standard F clips and fold them together to obtain longer fingers, but it builds up a little thickness to them and I will use these as last resort if I don't have a longer fingered F clips

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I've been using those for years on plaster lath, they work great for switches. For receptacles we always cut in right alongside a stud. This way you can use a "Smart Box" and screw it right to the stud.
We just screw right through them into stud

kind of a pre-smart box technique

~CS~

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Really? I've never seen skinny studs in old houses around here. I have run across them one time in an early production model early 60's era house.
I had one a few months back it was 2"x3"s but with the plaster and lath depth it almost fit. I had to give the fingers that met the back of the box a little persuasion with my multi-master.
But yes I do like the longer screws that they have. Only complaint is the stupid push ins for quicker screwing in. My suppliers only get them not the regulars and I have a few or use up before I can get regulars.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Around here lath and plaster houses have real 2x4's.
Around here alot of interior walls are turned 2x4 walls.
Persactly. Many interior (non-load-bearing) walls were built with the studs "sideways" to increase usable space. Makes it difficult to use any kind of deep box when adding wiring later on.

·
Can't Remember
11,077 Posts
I have been using a rotozip with tile bit to cut out the plaster and then the wood bit to cut the lathe behind. Keep the vacuum handy because its a little messy. I do it this way in order to not crack the plaster. I use what ever depth metal old work box will fit, deeper the better. I use a small bit to predrill for small woodscrews so the lathe won't split.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have been using a rotozip with tile bit to cut out the plaster and then the wood bit to cut the lathe behind. Keep the vacuum handy because its a little messy. I do it this way in order to not crack the plaster. I use what ever depth metal old work box will fit, deeper the better. I use a small bit to predrill for small woodscrews so the lathe won't split.

Seems like that would take a while. I like to use a grinder with a 4" diamond blade and a good shop vac. Makes a real clean straight cut with no cracks. Lately I've done a few with a multi tool, used an old blade for the plaster and it worked surprisingly well with barely any dust. I'm saving all my worn out blades till I can find where to buy some abrasive particles and some good glue to stick it on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.