Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to know what people regard as a high quality screw driver/screwdriver set.

A good set of screw drivers has been hard for me to find.

So far I only believe Wiha to be worthy.

Recently I had a guy from Snapon try to sell me a set of insulated screw drivers for AUS$316. (What The!?................!!!!!!! :mad: )

Was he taking the pi$$ with that quoted price!??

Any feed back on this subject would be much appreciated.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
"FACOM" used to be good, but now they are a "STANLEY TOOLS" company, so I guess they will end up the way of RK's latest "KLEIN" screwdrivers and break off all to easy.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I can't see paying the price for snap on. Gatti's snap on insulated linemans were like $150. Our shop gets Klein insulated tool kits for @ $240, three screwdrivers and several pliers

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/33526.html

I haven't seen the Ideal screwdriver yet that some guys on here like. I like the feel of Klein, I hate the plastic handled Craftsman stuff.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I don't worry too much about long-term quality.

Within a year, mine are either lost, stolen or I've beat it to death with a hammer.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts

Within a year, mine are either lost, stolen or I've beat it to death with a hammer.

I still have tools from back when I helped out my grandfathr and uncles as a kid.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Hey Sparky save your nice screwdrivers from the hammer........ I find these extremely well built and works great with the hammer.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Witte, Wera, Knipex, Etc.

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
I still have tools from back when I helped out my grandfathr and uncles as a kid.
I carry one old (BIG phillips) wooden handled screw driver that I use maybe 2x a year. It is the last of a set that were among the first tools I bought with my own money (about 36 years ago now... gawd, I'm getting old guys).

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I carry one old (BIG phillips) wooden handled screw driver that I use maybe 2x a year. It is the last of a set that were among the first tools I bought with my own money (about 36 years ago now... gawd, I'm getting old guys).

Your just a baby, I have a 43yr old estwing, bought new for me to pull nails from forms

·
Registered
163 Posts
Recently I had a guy from Snapon try to sell me a set of insulated screw drivers for AUS$316. (What The!?................!!!!!!! :mad: )

Was he taking the pi$$ with that quoted price!??
That's all he wanted? I'm surprised he didn't ask for one of your kidneys too.

As I work in a shop that works on autos, Snap-On is all the rage here. I shake my head every day when I see the guys blow their wallets up on this stuff. For example, plier type crimpers by Ideal are $9 - the same thing by Klein is $23 - the same exact thing by Snap On a whopping $53!

Snap On is nice, but you can find equal or better quality stuff for half the price. Especially if you buy stuff online.

Snap off!

:no:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
That's all he wanted? I'm surprised he didn't ask for one of your kidneys too.

As I work in a shop that works on autos, Snap-On is all the rage here. I shake my head every day when I see the guys blow their wallets up on this stuff. For example, plier type crimpers by Ideal are $9 - the same thing by Klein is $23 - the same exact thing by Snap On a whopping $53!

Snap On is nice, but you can find equal or better quality stuff for half the price. Especially if you buy stuff online.

Snap off!

:no:
Have you seen the post with the $150 pliers? Snap on is out of line with their prices but as long as people buy their stuff it won't change. I think the Craftsman Professional line wrenches look like they come out of the same molds. With some tools the only thing that seems different is the model numbers.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Apparently Klein has a recall on for their screwdrivers....saw a note at one of my suppliers about a recall but I did not see anything on Klein's website???

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Apparently Klein has a recall on for their screwdrivers....saw a note at one of my suppliers about a recall but I did not see anything on Klein's website???
We need details.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts