Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I work out of a Ford E250 van and it is the best all around truck for carrying ladders, parts stock, and tools.. IMO.. :thumbsup:
Yeah saw you yesterday on Johnson over by MacAurther.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts

·
Resi Service Electrician
1,257 Posts
So customer says I have no power to my bedroom . What do you bring? Ask what kind of panel and they say I dont know?
We role three service trucks and asking for details sounds nice but in the real world what you get most is the basics.The other part of the equation is the upsell we dont rely and just fixing the problem we were called about but always look for that 'while your here" job that makes even more money. Today a truck needed its twelve foot lader to replace a smoke detector with a new rechargable battery model and that was because we had the ladder on the truck.We are not dealing with low end track homes but custom homes with lots of high ceilings and most are not next door to a supply house. I have only been doing this for seven years but I have learned what works and what doesn't in those few years and believe me the few extra pounds do not take as much out of my pocket as they put into my pocket and without them It would be zero.
I am 6'4 I can get onto a single story roof withan 8' ladder, which fits inside most vehicles. I carry a gorilla ladder that converts into an extension or up to a 7' 'A' frame if needed. This takes care of most jobs, if someone says they have a 2story home then it worth bringing the van otherwise I'll save the gas.

Been doing service for 11 years and I have run around with all the ladders and full rolls of 8,6,4 an d partials of 2and 2/0 stocked to the hilt but when I add it all up it is not worth it if your focus is resi service. I've been doing really well with very very few trips to the store within the past 4 years since I have downsized stock. I know it is a wierd concept but it works pretty good. I am looking forward to getting a smaller vehicle, most likely an HHR, but maybe even that Ford Transit, that looks neat.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Starting to see lots more people using those Ford Transits. I like my Sprinter because I can stand up in the back. I also have a bench seat for the kids. So far it has worked out. 25k miles with oil changes, coming due for tires. I do a lot of service calls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what fuel milage are you getting. I got 16.5 mpg on the first tank, which is 4.5 mpg better than the ford "powerless" stroke that I had.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Wait for the new Nissan vans to come. The buzz around the van shelving company says their going to be one of the best vans on the market. But, I still say buy AMERICAN MADE.

Sent from my iPhone using ET Forum

·
Senior Moment
7,771 Posts
Wait for the new Nissan vans to come. The buzz around the van shelving company says their going to be one of the best vans on the market. But, I still say buy AMERICAN MADE.

Sent from my iPhone using ET Forum
Finance 101, most of the money will go back to Japan. All the high paying jobs in engineering, management and machine making will be stay in Japan. Only the low paying assembly jobs will be in US , about 5% to 7% of the profits will stay in the US. They will be you potential customers unless you have a Yokohama division.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Probably around that for mpg, maybe not as dramatic as the sales guy said, but better than the Ford. Probably not as much power either. The Ford was starting to use coolant and had other problems. My back is grateful for the change. Much quieter inside.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Finance 101, most of the money will go back to Japan. All the high paying jobs in engineering, management and machine making will be stay in Japan. Only the low paying assembly jobs will be in US , about 5% to 7% of the profits will stay in the US. They will be you potential customers unless you have a Yokohama division.
Yea I agree.....why the fuc& cant ford bring the full size version of the Transit here..? they make three sizes in Turkey and for some reason they still roll with the oooooold ass modle here...? why Ford....? I want to like the present version of the transit....but its just to damn small to suit my needs...?

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
I am 6'4 I can get onto a single story roof withan 8' ladder, which fits inside most vehicles. I carry a gorilla ladder that converts into an extension or up to a 7' 'A' frame if needed. This takes care of most jobs, if someone says they have a 2story home then it worth bringing the van otherwise I'll save the gas.

Been doing service for 11 years and I have run around with all the ladders and full rolls of 8,6,4 an d partials of 2and 2/0 stocked to the hilt but when I add it all up it is not worth it if your focus is resi service. I've been doing really well with very very few trips to the store within the past 4 years since I have downsized stock. I know it is a wierd concept but it works pretty good. I am looking forward to getting a smaller vehicle, most likely an HHR, but maybe even that Ford Transit, that looks neat.
What you have is a totally unduplicatable system unless you can find 6' 4" techs.I am not going to risk a workmans comp claim because a guy fell trying to hop onto a single story roof from an 8 foot ladder. Most of the homes around here are one story in front and three in back.
A fiberglass gorrilla ladder weighs as much as my 8 and 12 combined and is bulky and difficult to handle.
We also dont limit ourselves to just residential customers but also have several commercial clients.
Almost every item on our vans will rotate off within 90 days so we carry little unsellable items the trick is not to carry less but to carry what sells.Every trip to the supply house incurs unbillable hours and that can kill a service company.I prefer methods that will not only work for someone 6'4" but also someone 4'6".:thumbsup:

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Starting to see lots more people using those Ford Transits. I like my Sprinter because I can stand up in the back. I also have a bench seat for the kids. So far it has worked out. 25k miles with oil changes, coming due for tires. I do a lot of service calls.
I agree. Once you work out of a tall sprinter its hard to go back. I sort of have a love hate relation with mine... It seems to be more expensive to maintain than the US counterparts...

but if I had to get a pick up I would have to go with Chevy. I dont think anything on the market really compares to them..

·
Canadian
734 Posts
Chevy express is nice, loaded with ladder racks, and inside shelving.. Guzzles fuel like it's going out of style, and if I didn't know the parts guys, the front rotor, just one for the 8400 GVW van was $195...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Ford has a badass new Ranger in Australia (think Tacoma/Dakota sized), that they're thinking about finally bringing here.

They also finally brought the european version of the Ford Focus to the states. It's actually an American car I look forward to purchasing some day. I don't know why they reserve all the good $hit for the europeans.

·
Senior Moment
7,771 Posts
Yea I agree.....why the fuc& cant ford bring the full size version of the Transit here..? they make three sizes in Turkey and for some reason they still roll with the oooooold ass modle here...? why Ford....? I want to like the present version of the transit....but its just to damn small to suit my needs...?
I've read that the E-series will be replaced by the Transit anywhere between 2012 to 2014. depends who you believe.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts