Electrician Talk banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I was thinking about those UPS trucks...they look pretty bullet proof and basic. And you can access your tools and material like a human....

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
captkirk said:
I was thinking about those UPS trucks...they look pretty bullet proof and basic. And you can access your tools and material like a human....
That's what I have. Grumman bodies. Pretty basic. Not much to go wrong. 70k new, though. They're million mile bodies, but you'll put a few engines and transmissions in them.

Sent from my iPhone using the ElectricianTalk Forum app

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
That's what I have. Grumman bodies. Pretty basic. Not much to go wrong. 70k new, though. They're million mile bodies, but you'll put a few engines and transmissions in them.

Sent from my iPhone using the ElectricianTalk Forum app
Wow thats expensive.....I would have to do a little more commercial work/ industrial to warrent that price.. Damn...Im not a used car guy..I dont want to buy another Mercedes truck... they are a little costly to run.. And the other day my helper let a 500 pound transformer slide into the door...Now it sticks..a little... They must be all aluminum for that price....what kind of milage do you get from them..?

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
They must be all aluminum for that price....what kind of milage do you get from them..?
Exactly. All aluminum... Grumman is an aircraft company, after all. About 12 MPG with a gas motor. Normally Chevy 350's on a chevy 1-ton chassis is what you'll get in them, but you can order them any way you want. I think UPS gets theirs with an International setup with a manual trans, if I recall rightly.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Exactly. All aluminum... Grumman is an aircraft company, after all. About 12 MPG with a gas motor. Normally Chevy 350's on a chevy 1-ton chassis is what you'll get in them, but you can order them any way you want. I think UPS gets theirs with an International setup with a manual trans, if I recall rightly.

I belive that the UPS trucks are built on a Ford Super Duty chasis, and they are built for UPS only.

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts

MD.,

The UPS the first couple Model year the Ineternational set up have manual then switch over to automatique transmisson and been running with automatique to knock the mantanice cost down a bit more.
I know they are little more expensive than manual verison but they can justifed by the amount the time they have to get the truck out of service and fix the parts for the UPS the most common part they go thru alot is clutch and U Joints. next most common belive or not starters senice they don't leave the engine run any longer than they have to.

It the same way with European veirson of UPS truck over here as well.

Merci,
Marc

·
bending unit
222 Posts
hahaha, no, after my first few weeks of employment they gave me my own van.
before i was even a journeyman, i was a foreman with a work truck. it was the 90's, and there was as much work as my boss could bid. i was like 22 years old and making over $20 an hour. i thought i had the world on a string.

·
Resi Service Electrician
1,257 Posts
I can't believe I as thinking of getting an HHR, what was I thinking?!? :lol: I think I was underestimating all the little crap, its not worth it. I'm not even sure I want to try a transit anymore.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One way to inprove millage and extend life of a vehicle

I do LV data work and will be working for a LV/Electrical company shortly. It is called hypermiling. It works to. I find that once the light turns yellow, even if it is 1/8 or less of a mile away, mabey 600 to 1000 feet, the fuel economy really improves.Also, it causes less wear and tear on joints, brakes, drive line and so on. Take off slowly and speeding up gradually also makes long trip possible on less fuel. As for storage of a ladder, why is there not some kind of Aerodynamic box that the ladder can be slid into that cuts the drag down to extremely low Cd? A ladder on th roof acts like a parachute and robs from the fuel economy numbers. Readup on ecomodder and how those guys took a ordinary car to product extraordinary fuel economy numbers.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts