Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys do. When you have a sconce on the stairs, what method do you use to reach it?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I put my 6' ladder upside down and at an angle against the wall.
if you were to, say, fall and end up in the hospital because you were using your ladder upside down, you might find out the hard way how far insurance companies will go to NOT pay a claim. Consider doing it in an OSHA compliant and non-negligant way just in case something bad does happen.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Why would you ever turn a stepladder upside down...?
i avoid installing junk up high. HO's gonna need to replace that lamp.
I always laugh when I see the chandelier above the stairs, or the recessed lights in the 3 story foyer. Yeah, architecturally it looks great, but when I needed a damn scaffold to put it there good luck replacing the lamps.

·
Registered
Contractor
684 Posts
I always laugh when I see the chandelier above the stairs, or the recessed lights in the 3 story foyer. Yeah, architecturally it looks great, but when I needed a damn scaffold to put it there good luck replacing the lamps.
My builder does this crap at every one of his houses! The worst are the fixtures I have to hang in the cupola, 20' up. I have to snake an extension ladder up to the second floor, down a corridor, and up next to the fixture. :censored:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Stair ladder solves those awkward sconces. Handy when you have 3 and 4 story houses with wall lights all the way up.

Last company I worked for had 1 stair ladder that just got passed around as required. If you had a job that needed it, usually took a couple phone calls to find it. But it was worth tracking down for the time & frustration it would save.

As for chandeliers in crappy spots we just charge a chandelier fee that gets more expensive the worse the location. Although upselling the customer a powered chandelier winch sure makes install easier.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I used to use one of those little giant type adjustable ladders that go on stairs... it was awesome, but it's aluminum, so TECHNICALLY not supposed to use it.

Then I got a set of these little suckers:

Not as great, but they work pretty good and I can use whatever ladder to get the height I need.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
i avoid installing junk up high. HO's gonna need to replace that lamp.
I have no conscious in placing a pineapple 20' up. But I do recommend to all customers to get a pendant or chandelier and hang it at a user friendly height for lamp replacement and cleaning.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
I used to use one of those little giant type adjustable ladders that go on stairs... it was awesome, but it's aluminum, so TECHNICALLY not supposed to use it.

Not as great, but they work pretty good and I can use whatever ladder to get the height I need.
Where did you get these? What are they called? Are they sturdy and safe?
We usually charge so much that we don't get the job. Also what is a stair ladder?

Sounds like a good thing to have on hand.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

The best part of that picture is the guy is wearing a harness. What's he tied off to? Did he sink a lag into the finished drywall?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.