Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bidding a commercial building and it has a basement/parking garage. All concrete. Gear is in basement.First floor has 10 panels going to each suite, 2nd floor 10 panels each suite. Roof top has 20 AC units, there is an elevator as well.

So my question is what is the best way to run the conduits for 1,2nd floors and roof top.

1st flr-thinking just stub up to each suite.
2nd flr-thinking straight up in between walls than ceiling drop to each suite.
Roof top- Couple large pipes going to roof top, putting nema 3r gutter. Than piping out to each unit.

Tell me your thoughts

Have a great holiday weekend and be safe!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
If the AC units are for each unit and each unit is metered then you'll need to feed each individual AC unit from its respective suite. If that's not the case id run a feeder to the roof and put a panel in such a way that you could avoid local disconnects for the AC units.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
So my question is what is the best way to run the conduits for 1,2nd floors and roof top.
Tell me your thoughts
So much depends on the layout and available space.

If the panels are going in the same locations on every floor, you'd be looking for a clear path so you could run them together.

The conduit for the upper floors will be in the ceilings but going up and over will require an extra 10" of conduit and wire. If the path is there, feed them from the bottom via the ceiling below.

To the roof top, I'd calculate how may units I could run in one conduit and minimize conduits. For 20 units, you might even be able to value engineer a roof top panel. If you do that, don't forget a neutral for the 120V receps. I learned that from an old employers mistake.

What kind of suites are these if they need 10 panels in them?
1 panel in each of 10 suites I presume :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm going to dig into the A-Sheets and what the walls/sub floors look like for spacing. The panels will not be all together, they will be in each office

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
I'm bidding a commercial building and it has a basement/parking garage. All concrete. Gear is in basement.First floor has 10 panels going to each suite, 2nd floor 10 panels each suite. Roof top has 20 AC units, there is an elevator as well.

1st flr-thinking just stub up to each suite.
2nd flr-thinking straight up in between walls than ceiling drop to each suite.
Roof top- Couple large pipes going to roof top, putting nema 3r gutter. Than piping out to each unit.

Tell me your thoughts

Have a great holiday weekend and be safe!
Well show us your drawings and will design your conduit layouts for you .

·
Registered
421 Posts
So each floor has 10 suites? so you have 10 panels on each floor? First floor idea sounds good..pipe across the basement and core or put sleeves in the panel location..second floor, I would go toward a common chase, like a plunger chase...or elevator..because walls will move. The A/C units..you need to send in a RFI about if the units are "house" with a energy management system? or off the panel in the suite?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So each floor has 10 suites? so you have 10 panels on each floor? First floor idea sounds good..pipe across the basement and core or put sleeves in the panel location..second floor, I would go toward a common chase, like a plunger chase...or elevator..because walls will move. The A/C units..you need to send in a RFI about if the units are "house" with a energy management system? or off the panel in the suite?

Yes, 10 suites, 1 panel in each suite. I'm going to dig into it more. Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is there no electric rooms? I've done several office buildings and high occupancy living facilities. They always have an electric room on each floor. That made the feeders simple to run together, piped separately, all the way up.

Other than that you will have to look at the plans and find walls or dead spaces and hope to find some that continue all the way up. Maybe talk to the GC about getting something framed out for you somewhere?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The problem you should run into is that you can't run power through other
people's space, this is a building code issue. You'll be running down the corridors.

·
Registered
712 Posts
CADPoint said:
The problem you should run into is that you can't run power through other people's space, this is a building code issue. You'll be running down the corridors.
can i get reference info for that? thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts