Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Greenhorn
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some techniques for studying and interpreting code. I've been struggling with this for some time now and I just don't seem to find my answers fast enough. Has anyone had this issue and if so any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have to learn how to read the code book.

If you are trying to find a rule about the minimum size ground you can run unprotected, you know to go to section 10. Then flip through and look at the big black letters, anything that says bonding you know you can skip over. Once you get to big black letters about grounding conductors then you start looking at the smaller black bold letters. When you get to something about installation of grounding conductor you start looking at the individual rules. Then you will find 10-806(2) to find the answer.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I have been talking code classes and doing awful, thats why I need to find a way to refine my studying.
What worked for me (and may not for you) was taking a set of prints and the code book and laying the job out based upon what was permitted and what was not.

Gotta admit it's quite tedious but it was effective for me.

Pete

Reactions: owl

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
My first code book is loaded with highlighting. My second code book has a few things highlighted. I don't even have a third code book in printed form. :laughing:

What's the issue for you.. basic knowledge? Or referencing the book for examinations?
Learn to use the index and contents to find the subject matter... and try to get it straight in your head what each section is talking about and what's in it.

One day it'll just click and you'll get it.. then you'll work for a while and they'll change the code book and you won't know how to use it again. :laughing:

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,705 Posts
Take a code class, then put a copy of the NEC in the bathroom.. Your not going anywhere quick anyway.,
Pete's idea is a great one..

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
What are some techniques for studying and interpreting code. I've been struggling with this for some time now and I just don't seem to find my answers fast enough. Has anyone had this issue and if so any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Here is a good example.
430.25 Multimotor and Combination-Load Equipment. The ampacity of the conductors supplying multimotor and combination-load equipment shall not be less than the minimum circuit ampacity marked on the equipment in accordance with 430.7(D). Where the equipment is not factory-wired and the individual nameplates are visible in accordance with 430.7(D)(2), the conductor ampacity shall be determined in accordance with 430.24.

Reading a section such as this one tells you to go elsewhere in the code,so bookmark that page,go to each section and read,if in those sections it tells you to go elsewhere then do that too.

Keep some pencils handy to bookmark the pages your reading.

Keep a note pad handy and write down each page you visit and why.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Im guesing that you are studying the code book in school in order to pass tests and learn about electrical theories. If this is correct you have your work cut out for you because in my opinion its mutch harder to learn the codes for installations that you may have never seen much less ever worked on. One of my problems was that I could memorize the code and know exactly where to find it but I interpreted it wrong from the begining. So nothing else after that point really mattered. So I would stress being crystal clear about what you are studying before moving on. Just because someone else knows what a page says hardly means he or she understands it. I would also recommend a hand book. It has clarifications of the codes complete with pictures.

·
Registered
33,021 Posts
You are from that commie country in the Great White North, not sure if you have study guides like we have here

But the study guides with Tom Henry index worked wonders for me.

·
Registered
33,021 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.