Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best wireless alarm system that is readily available on the market to anyone?

I'd like to install my own alarm system in my townhouse. The house isn't very retrofit friendly, so a wireless alarm is the way to go. I can however hardwire the keypad if necessary. I need something that is easy to program and setup.

What have you guys used? I read a thread the other day on DSC Alexor? Where's the best place to buy?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Thank you. Any specific systems from them that you've used and installed? Where's the best place to buy online?
I install Ademco/Honeywell myself. There's loads of stuff on ebay so I'd start there. That's my go-to place for alarm supplies and barring that, I use ADI. Not sure if ADI has any stores in Canada though.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I'm not an "alarm guy", per se, so I've always stuck with Ademco for small fire/burglary panels if I was to wire and program them. They're about as dirt simple as it gets. Parts and service abounds. For a couple hundred bucks, you can get pretty much everything you'll need for your apartment.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone ever use DSC Impassa? Cheapest wireless alarm I could find.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah it's broke.. we never arm it, yet once a month (more or less) it'll send an intrusion alarm to the monitoring centre. We're in a 3 year contract with it, but it's out of warranty and they want a few hundred to come service it.. I just want it gone.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah it's broke.. we never arm it, yet once a month (more or less) it'll send an intrusion alarm to the monitoring centre. We're in a 3 year contract with it, but it's out of warranty and they want a few hundred to come service it.. I just want it gone.
I have that problem with mine I seriously hate it. Btw its a ge simon xt and its total garbage every thing about it is junk multiple sensors have failed (not batteries) had 2 of the remote touchpads go bad etc...screw them and their contract. It went off for no reason at 3 am the other day I wanted to tear it off the wall and smash it to pieces lol

Cameras and good old fashion locking the door makes way more sense than these worthless alarm systems

·
Registered
1 Posts
DSC and ADEMCO are top leaders in residential security systems, however some people find easy to program ADEMCO than DSC and vise versa, IMPASSA. It's self contained system and could be gsm or standard dact the most easy one for me in my personal opinion .

·
Conservitum Americum
8,935 Posts
I have that problem with mine I seriously hate it. Btw its a ge simon xt and its total garbage every thing about it is junk multiple sensors have failed (not batteries) had 2 of the remote touchpads go bad etc...screw them and their contract. It went off for no reason at 3 am the other day I wanted to tear it off the wall and smash it to pieces lol

Cameras and good old fashion locking the door makes way more sense than these worthless alarm systems

Ha! Everyone's got an opinion!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts