Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When bidding these jobs, what are some good numbers that need to be factored in?

Ex. - How many extra light fixtures should be ordered to account for bad ballast & lamps?
- Warranty calls & coming back to replace lamps. How do you figure in a good/accurate number for this.
- Working around or in a busy store during work hours? Doing the jobs at night? Both have different labor problems, night work can get exhausting, working around busy crowds slows things down big time....
- The unforseen.

Im also going to figure the total cost and divide it by the number of fixtures, this way when I turn in the number it will be a price per fixture, with the buffer added into each fixture. Does this sound fairly standard to those of you who do these change-outs?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Don't forget to factor in "proper" disposal of the old lamps and ballasts. It becomes an issue when you are trying to dispose of a few hundred T12 lamps.

·
crispy critter
1,846 Posts
In your proposal youll also want to include an adder for any pcb ballasts you might come across. Chances are you wont find any, but if you are disposing of things properly they can be very expensive to get rid of... The last one I did was a hospital. We turned in all of the old ballasts and whatever metal we yarded out for scrap and made a few bucks.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Are you going to need to buy any additional ladders ,tools, fixture lifts or rent lifts?

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
how are you coming across these jobs? Beating the bushes, contractor exchange?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
When bidding these jobs, what are some good numbers that need to be factored in?

Ex. - How many extra light fixtures should be ordered to account for bad ballast & lamps?
- Warranty calls & coming back to replace lamps. How do you figure in a good/accurate number for this.
- Working around or in a busy store during work hours? Doing the jobs at night? Both have different labor problems, night work can get exhausting, working around busy crowds slows things down big time....
- The unforseen.
Warranty should be in your price already. We never warranty lamps. The unforeseen should be handled as an extra.

Before bidding I would find out when this work was to be done. I would add a slight premium for each of the scenarios you list.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how are you coming across these jobs? Beating the bushes, contractor exchange?
I got introduced into this work through a guy I worked for as a sub. He has been in it for 15-20 years and does these jobs all over the country.

I like working for him a few times a year, but im shooting for doing small stores and churches in my local area on my own. To answer you question, mostly beating the bushes and drumming this work up.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
hire a hot lookin, sweet talkin female saleswoman to sell your lighting jobs.

:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts