Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some pointers from you guys on bidding a 6000 sq ft gutted restaurant. Do you guys bid per opening??? Just running new branch circuits for lighting and kitchen appliances. I know rates vary from place to place, but would like to see what you guys are charging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only 2 years. 80% of business is from residential work, and the rest from small business commercial sevice jobs. Alot, of mom and pops shops.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
$52,837.75

Bidding per opening is a sure way to lose your a$$ on a TI. Do you have prints? You should probably buy a book on electrical estimating before you jump into a project like that man.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finding a book store around here is a good 10miles away. I may take the drive and find some reading material. Any suggestions on books?

But, would like to hear from you experts on your strategies on how to be profitable on bigger jobs. I'm still fresh and learning the business as I go, so any helpful advice is much appreciated.

The per opening bidding was suggested from another contractor, probably works for him...

I do have a set of plans that I just got yesterday, but would need to sit down and take my time to look it over.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
........ but would need to sit down and take my time to look it over.
That's your first step. That way you'll get a good idea what you need to do. And what you will be required to supply... and install.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Nothing of the receptacles in the Kitchen area have any shared circuits!

Now you could run MWBC to counter tops receptacles but each circuit has to have it's own neutral.

All kitchen receptacles are GFCI protected!

Make sure theres a structrucal (fake) pole to any parapit walls in kitchen areas. Watch the parapit wall height to table and equipment layout. Some not tall enough to put a box at top of parapit. This verses the backsplash height that kitchen tables might have.
Only freezer/refrig. or dedicated gets low 18" receptacles.

Get a rock solid kitchen layout plan, if supplied by other than EE or Mech. sealed you need to check to see if there are any changes - before install.

In common areas GFCI soda and coffee stands.

Watch for 3-ways through out resturant. watch for back to back switching on
back to back walls and coordinate.

Do all cutting for free standing cashier islands, add another pipe in ground for data.

Coordinate and note runs for all bar Power and Data with both framing and
what Bar Carpenter has in mind.

Make sure to get dividers for all boxes that could be any multiplier of 3 and 4 (4-6) device box!

New resturants are all digitial! Double gang deep 4sq full to finish for CPU terminal displays +(54 -60"). (exact box might be in Spec from cashier supplier). All data pipe to above ceiling 3/4" or 1"-90 minimum out of wall.
Know WIFI requirements!

Most rest. will not give you enough physical space for are service both power tele., security, nor data drop! Count up circuits and assure panel covers, everything. A 42 count should be a 60 circuit panel now, seems one is always one short! Add a pipe here or there for security, now their battery or power
requirements!

Make sure to account dimmers and 3 or 4 ways through out.

Some but not all of the headaches you need to account for, Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I would like some pointers from you guys on bidding a 6000 sq ft gutted restaurant. Do you guys bid per opening??? Just running new branch circuits for lighting and kitchen appliances. I know rates vary from place to place, but would like to see what you guys are charging.
Don't let these guys get to you.
Do you have prints or is this a design build thing?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Just running new branch circuits for lighting and kitchen appliances.
There is a lot involved in a restaurant.

Its more than lighting and appliance circuits.

Have you ever wired one before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are prints for this job. I have never done a restaurant from scratch. My parents have a restaurant, and a good amount of friends and family also. I do all their service work. I know everything is dedicated in the kitchen.

Keep the advice coming. This not only helps me, but other guys on the board as well.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Only 2 years. 80% of business is from residential work, and the rest from small business commercial sevice jobs. Alot, of mom and pops shops.
That's a challenge right out the gate after only two years in biz. When you first start working on bids for that size project, it's a real challenge if your experience level is limited. Figure labor material and markup, as always.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a challenge right out the gate after only two years in biz. When you first start working on bids for that size project, it's a real challenge if your experience level is limited. Figure labor material and markup, as always.
It is going to be a challenge, but I have to start somewhere. These kind of jobs don't come around very often for me. Electrical construction is full of obstacles, but i'm up for the challenge. I don't want to regret it down the road. I'm sure there were many of you guys that didn't make a good profit on every job. If I don't, it would be a very good learning experience at the very least.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I've never done it either, so I'm reading intently on the advice here… I think BuzzKill is right, do your best reading the plans in detail, come up with a magic number and then add a safety buffer.

Worst case is you get the job and don't make as much as you imagined. Estimate higher next time.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
888, we can't really help you much if you don't give us more info.
Are you supplying light fixtures? if so who is picking them out?
Is the service large enough
is the restaurant all electric
Is the HVAC complete
Make up air units??

See what I mean?

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Exactly. If you lose the bid, reach out to the client and ask who won it, by how much, etc. There's probably dozens of sparks submitting a bid.

·
128 Posts
Read the keyed notes on the drawings, go through them. Check specifications to see if they specify conduit or disallow MC cable and qualify if need be.
Toward the title page or cover page is often a 'responsibility schedule' that can answer a lot of the who provides or who does this type questions.
For a restaurant reference the electrical drawing against the kitchen equipment schedules. There is typically an equipment schedule similar to a light fixture schedule legend that gives specifics about rough in requirements.
Be sure who provides and installed hood suppression system and what your wiring responsibility is for it quality as needed. Qualify all fire alarm devices and wiring for that matter, mechanical low voltage wiring also.
I could go on and on if I knew more of your scope but be careful if this is new to you sounds like a decent sized job make sure you have the manpower to support this size job or that GC will make your life hell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts