Electrician Talk banner

bidding

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Nom Deplume 
#1 ·
I am learning to bid commercial projects, I know when you receive a full set of plans the scale is correct, example 1/8 = 1 ft. but when a contractor sends you a PDF file of the plans, I print them out on 8.5 x 11 in
printer paper how do I scale this. please help

#7 ·
I don't think you will ever get the scale accurate. You could get a Scale master from Calculated Industries. You can set a custom scale for the take off. You would have to know the length of a wall or something to set the scale .

.Dwf and .Dwfx are far better for scaling. Especially if you print handouts for field guys. Autodesk's Plan Review software is still free but is getting phased out for an online version. This won't help if you can't get the drawings as .Dwf.

Getting the .Dwg files will be hard to get. They are basically giving away their intellectual property. The files probably won't be any use anyway

Most of the drawings done today are done with Revit and exported to AutoCAD's .Dwg format. Once exported all the intelligence is stripped and only the 2D linework remains, unless the 3D model is being exported. Either way it is stripped of all the intelligent information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.