Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
In new construction I use a 40 space(never a 32/40) and add a sub in the garage or utility room. Seems to work well.
Then where do you mount the 40 space?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
A 34 storey condo building downtown. They are all in electrical rooms, 2 or 3 electrical rooms per floor in general. Usually with 2-3 114 circuit panels and a couple smaller 60 space or something panels then the lighting automation panels. All of these panels are spec'd and are the same brand, 120/208 3 phase with isolated ground.

:blink: In a residential condo?

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
A 34 storey condo building downtown. They are all in electrical rooms, 2 or 3 electrical rooms per floor in general. Usually with 2-3 114 circuit panels and a couple smaller 60 space or something panels then the lighting automation panels. All of these panels are spec'd and are the same brand, 120/208 3 phase with isolated ground.
Hey EB, did you design this? If so that is really cool. If not did piperunner tell you what to do?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey EB, did you design this? If so that is really cool. If not did piperunner tell you what to do?
Design the electrical rooms? Nope. That is all done by the engineers. We just have work to do in the electrical rooms. Put in fusible busway switches, switch out panel interiors from 72 circuit to 114 circuit, install isolated ground bars. Whoever 'piperunner' is, they are not on this job :001_huh:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Isolated grounds are for wasting money.... but IT guys will try to sell that computer line of bs anyway :laughing:
The funniest part of installing the isolated ground bars is when you go back later in the day and find other electricians have take a #6 and jumpered the ground bar to the isolated ground bar to give them self a bigger ground bar. If it wasn't pointless to begin with, it sure is now :laughing::thumbup:.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Don't you guys have something similar to this - a 40/80?
Can you provide a part number for that removable plate shown in the pic (installs over the service entrance conductors). I have asked our square D rep for it and no dice. Would make cutting/ or adding circuits in live panels much safer. Shoot me a private message if need be as this is a bit off topic and will be piced apart and cut to pieces here.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
All our panels come with that 'plate'. No part number.

99 might ship you a panel tho?:) I've never looked, I wonder if you guys could even use them down south or if they are just CSA approved.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.