Electrician Talk banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,698 Posts
Can you provide a part number for that removable plate shown in the pic (installs over the service entrance conductors). I have asked our square D rep for it and no dice. Would make cutting/ or adding circuits in live panels much safer. Shoot me a private message if need be as this is a bit off topic and will be piced apart and cut to pieces here.
It's a Canadian panel, 123. By code, we require a separate "service box" for the main disconnecting means. The barrier satisfies the requirement for a service box. All our panels come barriered.

By the look of it, our panels are alike except for the barrier. Square D might be able to order it for you as a separate Canadian part but it would be an unusual request, even for us up here in the frozen north.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Isolated grounds are for wasting money.... but IT guys will try to sell that computer line of bs anyway :laughing:
The IT guys look at me cattywampus when I tell them as long as you megger out the circuits for standing faults you don't need them. Or the fact they don't get their own grounding grid.

The funniest part of installing the isolated ground bars is when you go back later in the day and find other electricians have take a #6 and jumpered the ground bar to the isolated ground bar to give them self a bigger ground bar. If it wasn't pointless to begin with, it sure is now :laughing::thumbup:.
:laughing: Often they don't even bother with a separate bar and just use the existing.

84 circuit
Mcmansion? Don't Canadians have more circuits to start with?

No way. The orange color makes all the electricity smell like citrus. True story.
:laughing: Makes the It guys feel special. Imaginary problems go away too. And we make more mulaah. Everyones happy.:thumbup:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Im still installing 32/40 panels . If I see 40+ ckts they are buying a 300 or 400 amp service with two panels

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I would look at you all funny to if you wanted to megger something for no reason.
You should megger IT/computer circuits.

If a circuit is wired correctly without faults there is no need for an isolated ground circuit. Isolated grounding came about as a wishful attempt at correcting power quality issues. One of which was dirty grounds (voltage potential between ground prongs) caused by neutral to ground faults and crossed neutrals at J boxes. A megger can catch accidental faults or miss wires that cause dirty grounds/EMI issues.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.