Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to take on side work but am a little confused about how much I'm supposed to charge the customer for labor. Do I charge them the going rate for a master which is like $60 an hour? I live in Maine if that helps...

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm starting to take on side work but am a little confused about how much I'm supposed to charge the customer for labor. Do I charge them the going rate for a master which is like $160 an hour? I live in Maine if that helps...
Are you trying to kill the electrical trade?

You can go to prison for unlicensed practice http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/10/title10sec8003-C.html

First thing is you need to learn how to create an estimate.

Make a stock list of all the material add your markup.

You need to know how long a job will take, from setup to breakdown.

You need to know what all of your costs are and add that to your formula to charge for the man hours.

When you present your estimate to your customer show them a grand total price only.

If you show customers your hourly rates you will not get any work unless your hourly rates are much lower than what they make at work and put yourself out of business.

But first you must be licensed in the state of Maine before you start doing work on your own,

http://www.maine.gov/pfr/professionallicensing/professions/electricians/index.html

·
Estwing magic
27,400 Posts
We aren't here to price out side jobs for apprentices.

BBQ is gone. Brian John is gone. WTH is going on? Are we becoming ElectricalSideJob.com? This is becoming annoying.

Listen dude, I am a Master Electrician. I have the work experience, education and piece of paper on the wall to prove it. You are an apprentice. There's a difference. And, no, I don't work for sixty bucks an hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.