Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the recent buzz with Bitcoins and alternative currencies there have been numerous individuals and groups buying the hardware needed to "hash" out their profits, so to speak. I am one of these individuals.

I may be getting to a point soon where I'm going to want to run a mining rig of my own which may put out approx 4000 watts in 1 room. I'm no expert, and I assume if I was to run that much power through the outlets in 1 room I'd create an inferno inside the walls.. leading to the burning of my home or at the very least frying all my equipment.

So my question comes in three parts:
1) Is it possible to run 4000w continuous in 1 room of the house?
2) If it is possible, how can it be done as SAFELY and efficiently as possible?
3) How much might an electrician charge me to make it all good to go?

I want to run 10x GPU's (graphics cards) in this room each running at about 300 watts each drawing around 10-12 amps each. Any advice on this would be EXTREMELY helpful and appreciated! Thank You!

P.S. I apologize if this is not posted in the correct place.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
In the recent buzz with Bitcoins and alternative currencies there have been numerous individuals and groups buying the hardware needed to "hash" out their profits, so to speak. I am one of these individuals.

I may be getting to a point soon where I'm going to want to run a mining rig of my own which may put out approx 4000 watts in 1 room. I'm no expert, and I assume if I was to run that much power through the outlets in 1 room I'd create an inferno inside the walls.. leading to the burning of my home or at the very least frying all my equipment.

So my question comes in three parts:
1) Is it possible to run 4000w continuous in 1 room of the house?
2) If it is possible, how can it be done as SAFELY and efficiently as possible?
3) How much might an electrician charge me to make it all good to go?

I want to run 10x GPU's (graphics cards) in this room each running at about 300 watts each drawing around 10-12 amps each. Any advice on this would be EXTREMELY helpful and appreciated! Thank You!

P.S. I apologize if this is not posted in the correct place.
Hello:)

Take a few minutes and copy and paste your question here http://www.diychatroom.com/

This is a professional electricians forum so unless you're an electrician you really can't post here sorry....:)

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,510 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Reactions: The_Modifier
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.