Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone get a petition together to write these knuckle heads and tell them to make their boxes a quarter inch smaller on the flang.it seems like everytime I try to use one the black box shows....

·
HTTR
530 Posts
I didn't even know Arlington had an old work box other than the "one box" with the side screws

Its got the wings like the gray P&S box?

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
captkirk said:
Can someone get a petition together to write these knuckle heads and tell them to make their boxes a quarter inch smaller on the flang.it seems like everytime I try to use one the black box shows....
I hate the carlon boxes but I usually get stuck using them because of this.

Sometimes I use white plastic spray paint to match the ceiling

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
captkirk said:
Im talking about the round light boxes..
I agree, if you have a small canopy on the pendant light the black edge shows. It is too big. I've used tinsnips to cut a quarter inch off the edge.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
captkirk said:
Im talking about the round light boxes..
We all knew what you were talking about.

Except Harry of course.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Very frustrating. That's why we end up using the carlon blues or bakelite/fiberglass boxes. Someone needs to wake them up that cut in round boxes should be 3.5" diameter so you can hide them behind vanity fixtures and whatnot. All the black Arlington/Slater boxes are good for is hanging boobie lights.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Very frustrating. That's why we end up using the carlon blues or bakelite/fiberglass boxes. Someone needs to wake them up that cut in round boxes should be 3.5" diameter so you can hide them behind vanity fixtures and whatnot. All the black Arlington/Slater boxes are good for is hanging boobie lights.
you have to use Chinese writing to tell them how to adjust it...

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
oh, you mean the old work box such as blue carlon with tabs that go out behind the drywall or plaster and are rated for more than 8 #s?

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I stock those in the van too but I will use plastic round cut ins for sconces..... but I had to use a black one the other day. Who ever designed them obviously never acually had to use one. And tbey have been that way ever since I got I to the field.
They work for most surface mounted ceiling fixtures, but that extra 1/4-1/2" diameter seems to bite you in the butt every time on wall sconces and smoke detectors. It seems wall sconces were designed to just barely cover a 3 1/2" box, which is why I also keep Carlon 3 1/2" old work boxes, 3 1/2" pancake boxes, 3 1/2" steel round boxes, and some of the bakelite old works with the steel drywall "shoe". Maybe arlington made them to be the jumbo sized switch plate of the cut in box world?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.