Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldnt keep a pair of sneakers if my life depended on it! And Im not even being a cheapo and buying Pay-less shoes. High end name brands only. Crawlspaces and job sites seem to blow them out in no time. IDK.

Just bought a pair of new balances in March and they've alright got holes in them and split the seems. Had a pair of Fila's before that, and they lasted closer to 8 months, but I wore them till my toes were poking out. Does anybody have a certain brand they wear that lasts a decent amount of time?

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
MHElectric said:
I couldnt keep a pair of sneakers if my life depended on it! And Im not even being a cheapo and buying Pay-less shoes. High end name brands only. Crawlspaces and job sites seem to blow them out in no time. IDK. Just bought a pair of new balances in March and they've alright got holes in them and split the seems. Had a pair of Fila's before that, and they lasted closer to 8 months, but I wore them till my toes were poking out. Does anybody have a certain brand they wear that lasts a decent amount of time?
Wolverines.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Electrical work in regular shoes just feels wrong.

They make some very comfortable almost shoe like boots. Even work boots will wear out fast when any part other than the sole is rubbing on anything.

Go buy the cheapie Velcro shoes at Walmart. The might not last the longest but they are cheap and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Sneakers???!!

I keep the boots in the truck for a ditch or outside work. Everything else needs to be running shoes.
Been working in a plant again, and only boots, and long pants. Black if you want to not ruin your others with oil. I'm so used to this now, I feel funny wearing shorts for resi calls, even in the heat.

But when I go back to running resi service calls, the boots get a stare for high end carpet !

Resi or Commercial construction jobs I wear boots.
That guys right about the cheapos, that's what I use for that type of work.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,489 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I couldnt keep a pair of sneakers if my life depended on it! And Im not even being a cheapo and buying Pay-less shoes. High end name brands only. Crawlspaces and job sites seem to blow them out in no time. IDK.

Just bought a pair of new balances in March and they've alright got holes in them and split the seems. Had a pair of Fila's before that, and they lasted closer to 8 months, but I wore them till my toes were poking out. Does anybody have a certain brand they wear that lasts a decent amount of time?
Nike Air Force One.

Or the duel fusion, more of a running shoe.

Just seem to get way more life out of Nike shoes than any of the others.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been working in a plant again, and only boots, and long pants. Black if you want to not ruin your others with oil. I'm so used to this now, I feel funny wearing shorts for resi calls, even in the heat.

But when I go back to running resi service calls, the boots get a stare for high end carpet !

Resi or Commercial construction jobs I wear boots.
That guys right about the cheapos, that's what I use for that type of work.
DRONAI!! Of all the guys on this forum, your one of the last ones I though I'd ever hear talk bad about wearing sneakers! :laughing: :jester:

I wore boots everyday to work when I was in the army and when i worked for the man. As long as I am self employed, ill wear whatever feels comfortable. Sneakers help me keep up a faster pace and there's really no need for boots unless your working in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
DRONAI!! Of all the guys on this forum, your one of the last ones I though I'd ever hear talk bad about wearing sneakers! :laughing: :jester:

I wore boots everyday to work when I was in the army and when i worked for the man. As long as I am self employed, ill wear whatever feels comfortable. Sneakers help me keep up a faster pace and there's really no need for boots unless your working in the dirt.
I think you misunderstood,
I've only had time for a few here and there resi calls, and I'm wearing slip on loafers :laughing: (Crocs), Not kidding. I have the boots in the van though.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now 4square....not to sound like your cheap old uncle, but you do know those Nikes are like $30-50 more expensive than EVERY other brand around right? I'd be willing to spend that, IF, and only IF, they would last closer to a year instead of a few months.

I dont mind spending a little bit of money if it really pays off, but C'MON now, your about to give me indigestion with all this high dollar talk. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Now 4square....not to sound like your cheap old uncle, but you do know those Nikes are like $30-50 more expensive than EVERY other brand around right? I'd be willing to spend that, IF, and only IF, they would last closer to a year instead of a few months.

I dont mind spending a little bit of money if it really pays off, but C'MON now, your about to give me indigestion with all this high dollar talk. :laughing:
I know they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. You could get closer to 2 years with the air force ones as a work shoe depending on the kind of environments you work. The other ones are still my weekend shoes, but I can tell the quality is there. That said, like all running shoes they are alot thinner. I have tried sketchers and like them, but they only last 6 months or so as a work shoe. The air force ones last along time.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Big 5 has killer deals on sneakers, some quality ,some not so much.

·
332 Posts
I buy the cheaper Nike from the cheaper shoe stores that do NOT have any sort of air pack. One nail, the air blows out, then the soles are coming apart in a few days. You can usually get a decent pair for around $40-$45. If I get a spring, summer, and fall out of them, I'm happy, then I trash them, and slip into the timberland chocuras for the winter.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,489 Posts

Big 5 has killer deals on sneakers, some quality ,some not so much.
For actual sneakers, I would have to second the Nike posts. I have been wearing them since I got my first pair of Bo Jacksons!

I have had some New Balance shoes as well as Asics, both have been great for running in, but they didn't last as long as I would have hoped. My Nike's seem to get more mileage out of them, so long term a less expensive investment.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.