Electrician Talk banner

blue romex

17883 25
i see it every now and then, remember it was in the 80s, i think. anyone remember what years that was around? i think it wasnt very long
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Data Tech/Apprentice.
8,974 Posts
Mike Holmes smashes holes in nice peoples drywall then frames a basement with screws and blue studs and requires Guido to supply romex to match.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
We still have it. Back in the early 90,s we started using it for some reason. Was an idea to match insulation to the colour of fuses or breaker handles I think . Died out now but you can still get it.
Every other nmd is coloured for easy identification .
Not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

· felonious smile.
15,896 Posts
i see it every now and then, remember it was in the 80s, i think. anyone remember what years that was around? i think it wasnt very long
1984 when NM adopted the B prefix. Southwire was the only manufacturer doing baby blue romex. Lasted for a few years.

· Electrical Contractor
5,967 Posts
Here in Canada, it was around 74 or so. I remember it was about 1/2 the size of the regular nmd, very thin jacket. The manufacturer recommended using a potato peeler to skin it

· :-)
3,664 Posts
I wired a couple of bedroom circuits with it. Bastards want more money for it tho. So now I use white.

Like Aegis I had no problem using up my roll end in other parts of the house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.