Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see it every now and then, remember it was in the 80s, i think. anyone remember what years that was around? i think it wasnt very long

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i remember using some in the early 80s. leftovers?

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Mike Holmes smashes holes in nice peoples drywall then frames a basement with screws and blue studs and requires Guido to supply romex to match.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
We still have it. Back in the early 90,s we started using it for some reason. Was an idea to match insulation to the colour of fuses or breaker handles I think . Died out now but you can still get it.
Every other nmd is coloured for easy identification .
Not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have blue (more like aqua) romex in my house. It was built in 1968. I also have some romex with insulated grounding conductors in it.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
You guys don't have blue romex right now?

We have it, I use it for arc fault circuits, which are only required for bedroom receptacles.
is there a way for a guy to make a buck off a code change proposal," blue Romax for arc fault circuit":laughing:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
i see it every now and then, remember it was in the 80s, i think. anyone remember what years that was around? i think it wasnt very long
1984 when NM adopted the B prefix. Southwire was the only manufacturer doing baby blue romex. Lasted for a few years.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
is there a way for a guy to make a buck off a code change proposal," blue Romax for arc fault circuit":laughing:
Oh it'll totally be in the 2015 Canadian Electrical Code.

All our romex is already colour coded though, so blue for afci isn't that weird up here. Most guys don't do blue though.. don't blame them, I just like it that way.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1984 when NM adopted the B prefix. Southwire was the only manufacturer doing baby blue romex. Lasted for a few years.
are you sure it wasnt before that? i know it wasnt around long, maybe 3-4 years?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I have blue (more like aqua) romex in my house. It was built in 1968. I also have some romex with insulated grounding conductors in it.
I wish the insulated ground romex was the norm. Would help out a lot, one area being AFCIs. Less chance of a hot or neutral to ground short.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,062 Posts
Here in Canada, it was around 74 or so. I remember it was about 1/2 the size of the regular nmd, very thin jacket. The manufacturer recommended using a potato peeler to skin it

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I wired a couple of bedroom circuits with it. Bastards want more money for it tho. So now I use white.

Like Aegis I had no problem using up my roll end in other parts of the house.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
are you sure it wasnt before that? i know it wasnt around long, maybe 3-4 years?
Pretty sure, I was buying it for hobbies and a basement apt I wired.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts