Electrician Talk banner

Boiler emergency plate

1304 5
I have a specific question: Is the switch plate for a boiler required to be red? And if so, where is this code requirement?

I know what we all do and what some inspectors want, but I am interested in the color of the plate only.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Speedy Petey said:
I have a specific question: Is the switch plate for a boiler required to be red? And if so, where is this code requirement? I know what we all do and what some inspectors want, but I am interested in the color of the plate only.
I don't believe its a code requirement. I believe the building dept enforces it.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe its a code requirement. I believe the building dept enforces it.
That's pretty much the conclusion I have come up with. No one in my circle of friends/colleagues/inspectors can come up with anything in writing.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Just talked to our mechanical guy. He told me there's a division of the state that inspects and enforces boiler installations. Couldn't get the name of the department but he told me they have to inspect all permitted commercial boilers once a year just like an elevator. The requirement is an emergency disconnect inside the room and outside the room with red or marked plates. It doesn't sound like the disco necessarily needs to cut line power as much as it needs to shut off the gas somehow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.